What type of salt do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good old thread Eliyah

I found this good old thread while looking for some info on Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt I have recently switched to this brand to try it out. So far I have had very good results with it. I had been using IO now for almost 14 months but my 75 gallon SPS tank would suck down the Calcium levels to
< 350 ppm in 7 days :mad: I have also used and even started my tanks on Oceanic which would hold the calcium But my ph would start dropping in about 6 days and I would have to dose Kent super DKH to get the ph and alkalinity back up. so that was my switch to IO.
The real big test for my tank was when i went to Florida for 10 days = no water changes I tested my Calcium and it was right at 380 ( Salifert)
Ph consistantly 8.1= low in the am to 8.35 just before lights out.
I was having a litttle trouble with Nitrates hanging at 10 ppm ( Salifert)
But after adding 12 clams :eek: to the tank That is no longer a issue :p
I am unsure about the phosphate levels that Mojo had posted on this I will try to check into that on my next water change..anyone else using :Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt these days?

esmith said:
I am curious what time of salt mix do you use/recommend. I have been using Tropic Marin and have been battling algae breakout on the sand off and on. I was previously using distilled water from the store previously so I thought the algae was a result of the water, I finally got a RO system about a month ago and this problem has still not stopped.

I finally got a phosphate test this last weekend and tested the tank water...almost 1.0ppm :shock: I have tested my tap water and nothing, then I tested the RO water and nothing as well. Then I tested the water that I had pre-mixing for water changes and there it is...the same measurement that I got from the tank water (1.0ppm phosphate).

I assume that it must be the salt, so I am curious what brands people are using so that I can stop these algae outbreaks. I was using Instant Ocean before I ran out and switched to Tropic Marin. I didn't like the way that Instant Ocean mixed so I was looking for something new and went with something that was recommended to my at the LFS.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you,

Eliyah

Thanks for the input Vic

If & when you get some Vic could you do some testing on calcium & alkalinity to see how it stcks up? Do you use rodi water ?

swissgaurd said:
im waiting for the ocean pure salt mix to arrive
ive used TM, kent, IO,fritz, ive liked them all i hope ocean pure fairs out.

vic

reef crystal

Thanks Mavgi I haven't seen this availible in Eastern oregon region. Have you done any testing on this salt? what kind of results have you had with it? How long have you been using it?

mavgi said:
i use before reef crystal today tropic marine pro.

before i change to this salt i make research and i find out that the calc , kalk and magnesium in this salt are the stabile and equal more then other salt more then that it's dissolve quick in the water and the ph stabile. it's cost twice then the reef crystal but i like it and i think it's worth the money .

here click on the link you will see the : Tropic Marin salt pro-reef comparison

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/proreef-meersalz-vergleich.htm

I been using IO for years.with no effect at all. But Eric Borneman is doing a salt study now and should be completting it soon, It is Blind study testing coral resposnes to different salt mixes, So far he said that one tank stands out, But he dont know which one it is because of the blind study. So it should prove useful to all of us when he completes it.

Back