what type of star fish is this

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved your post from the Fish Forum to a forum where invertebrates are most often discussed. Good luck!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Thats a feather star (Crinoidea). Very Beautiful, but very sensitive as well. Where did you get that!?

Oh, and their filter feeders...

i got it in a pet shop am i bad lol i thought it was some type of coral or weed lol but found out it was a star fish im only new at this, but its pretty cool

Take it back as it will die soon in a newer tank. Even in a HUGE very matuer establised reef and being fed live rotifers, brine shrimp, etc, it would die a young death.

That is cool I hope it lives for you, and I wouldn't worry about the negative feedback. I don't know why it would live at the fish store and I'm sure they're not going to set it free. I highly doubt that anybody in here has only tank raised fish and corals and that anybody has never had anything die in their tank. Give it the best chance to live that you can and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that anybody in here has only tank raised fish and corals and that anybody has never had anything die in their tank. Give it the best chance to live that you can and hope for the best.

Unless you aren't keeping up with current events nor locations, and are so self confident in your own righteousness; a delicate impossible to feed Australian reef dweller can be put back in the reef it came from.

Soooo Allen, how would YOU feed a basket or feather star?

It's not really about the basket star living or dying. It will die. It's a matter of where you want it to die and what kind of statement you want to make. If you keep it, it'll die and the LFS will replace it with another...maybe 2 since they sold one. If you return it to them, it'll die and may or may not be replaced. If enough of them die in the LFS tank, they'll soon realize that they're losing money and stop purchasing them. Hence, less purchased from wholesaler...eventually wholesaler will realize they're losing money. Maybe someday, this wonderful but VERY delicate creature will be left in the ocean, where it belongs.

well its being in the tank 2 weeks now doing really well moving around heaps im not near the reef so i aren't putting it back :p

Well, just to clear things up, it is a Comatulid Crinoid, a Feather Star and not a Basket Star, which is a Ophiuroid. Basket Star are easier to keep, not that one should tryto keep one.

In 40 years I only know of one person that has kept a Comatulid alive, a reefer, for about a year. All other attemps are 1-2 months = DEAD. These filter feeders need massive amounts of food. They are one of my favoite groups. Crinoids are a big thing in invertebrate paleontology, part of my background, from my college days.

The only thing that I can add is that it is better off in you reef tank than LFS but should be put back in the ocean, but may be to late. I might add that yours is already on its way. See the tips and how they have lost color, he is already sick and on his way out :mad:

Unless you aren't keeping up with current events nor locations, and are so self confident in your own righteousness; a delicate impossible to feed Australian reef dweller can be put back in the reef it came from.

Soooo Allen, how would YOU feed a basket or feather star?

You are very naive in thinking that since somebody returns something to a LFS that they are going to release it back to the reef it came from wether it's in Australia or not. As for being righteous it seems to me that the people that are bashing somebody for what they picked up at the LFS are the arrogant self righteous folks in this crowd. Somebody asked for ID and got lit up because a couple of you think they shouldn't have it, If you really want to make a statement take your tank down and don't buy anything from anybody as all of these creatures in our tanks really belong in the sea.
As for feeding it since I don't have this in my tank I have not done the reseach to know what or how to feed it and I don't believe that I said that I did.

Last edited:
You are very naive in thinking that since somebody returns something to a LFS that they are going to release it back to the reef it came from wether it's in Australia or not. As for being righteous it seems to me that the people that are bashing somebody for what they picked up at the LFS are the arrogant self righteous folks in this crowd. Somebody asked for ID and got lit up because a couple of you think they shouldn't have it, If you really want to make a statement take your tank down and don't buy anything from anybody as all of these creatures in our tanks really belong in the sea.
As for feeding it since I don't have this in my tank I have not done the reseach to know what or how to feed it and I don't believe that I said that I did.

Allen, the newby poster asked what the star was and was told it was a very advanced specie at best. He was advised to return it. If you had something to add about the star, fine. But instead, you inserted something about right and wrong and that is an entirely different issue. Seems you were the "basher" here.

Reply or not, I am done except to wish a warm WELCOME to the new poster and hope that his next thread is more enjoyable.
Lets let this just drop.

Is TAKE IT BACK and IT BELONGS IN THE FLIPPIN OCEAN, really telling somebody that this is an advanced species? If that's what you want to say just say it. Advising somebody that they heve a specimen that will probably die could be put in kinder gentler terms and that is my only point. I see a lot of things at the LFS that I don't think should be available but the fact is that they are and if you want to try to keep something that is going to die then that is your choice. Like you say "Ya pays yer money an Ya takes yer chances". I know that I have seen other questions posted that have recieved this same kind of feedback and I'm just not sure why it is necessary. So yeah I am bashing the negative feed back but I'm not the one who started the criticism.

Obviously this thread has been derailed into something way beyond what the original poster was wanting information about. It turned into a save the species discussion by some. Although the species may have not been the wisest choice (or even known to be that kind of choice), no help was provided except blame and criticism unfortunately and to that I sincerely apologize to our new member for getting such a lashing in the first posts on this site. Not really the friendliest welcome that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back