what would be best to stock my 2.5 gallon pic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I tied in a 2.5 gal pico into my 200 gal system. What do you think would be most interesting to stock this tank with? I am thinking maybe a seahorse or a couple small, sexy shrimp. I am going to suck up some of my mysis shrimp from my sump and see if they will live in this tank. I will keep it fed pretty well with coral frenzie and possibly rotifer cultures.

Ideas apprecaited,

Travis

I WOULD LIKE A PHOTO :D on how u tied it to your existing system

I will take some pictures tonight, but here is a quick explanation.

I bought a small, plastic tank from Petco for under $10. I found a bulkhead fitting with a hose barb for 1/2" tube from Pacific Marine Exchange for $1 each. I cut the right sized hole in the pastic tank using a jacknife and made the correct ID using a dremel and installed the bulkhead fitting at overflow level. Then I hooked up what I call my umbilical cord, which is a tube inside a tube. My inlet water is supplied by a small 3/16" tube like used for my RO water system which is ran inside my 1/2" drain line. I run the drainline through a 90 degree hose barb fitting and run the internal line out the end of the fitting. This makes it nice and simple having only 1 line running to/from the pico.

I love my sexy shrimp however they so like to nibble on my zoa skirts if I dont feed them. What kind of light are you going to use?

Here are some pictures finally. For lighting right now I am using a 60 Watt compact Bright white (6500k i think). It is like a x-mas light bulb. I actually have part of the bulb submersed in the water for heat and more intense light. THe zoas seem to be doing well under it. I have a pompom crab and a camel shrimp in it right now, they seem happy. Some algae too, 3 kinds.

www.greenconversion.net/pico

Travis

http://www.greenconversion.net/396.JPG

Last edited:
That's pretty neat.

thanks, I love the pom pom crab, and he would get lost in a tank mush bigger. I think he is perfect in this tank. There is enough flow that the temp is maintained in my unheated basement with no insulation. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me put it upstairs....

here is a closeup pic of my pom pom

pompom.jpg

Back