What would cause this kind of recession on a chalice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I guess I have missed this thread. I would try and cut off the dead skeleton and move it to a higher position off to the side of the tank. This way it won't get too much light and still get flow and be away from other corals. Good luck

All opinions are welcome. I agree that any known problems should be corrected.
If the tank gets cold from a bad heater, replace it.
Too hot?, Get a fan/chiller or lower lighting hours.
Ich? Hypo-salinity and fallow in the display.
Stung coral? Move it and perhaps add good carbon
Tank parameters go out of whack after dosing? Do a water change and let things stabilize.

Adding flow on a sick coral can also add to it's stress.
Best to only prescribe a treatment if and when you are sure you know what the problem is.
In a healthy well lit clean water tank, time is an ally and changes are a common source of problems.

Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater reef system.

Food, food and then more food. :D Thats what helped mine. Of course the filtration is required to keep up. I received several from another tank. One was like the pics of yours, one not so bad and the other fine but not much growth. All three are now growing fine, esp. the latter two. Cant say other than feeding I do anything different.

Just using 150w HQI, average flow for a 35g cube, sg 1.025, ca 420ppm, alk. 8dkh-9dkh, mag 1350ppm...lighting period about 9hrs. Once or twice per week I shut of my return and feed frozen Cyclop-eeze and /or bloodworms. Others I know use special coral food, one in particular made in Alberta with very good results. I still have CE so using it up first.

Back