What's in your sump/refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What's in your sump/refugium

• Equipment only (skimmer, reactors, heaters etc)

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • DSB (deep sand bed) or miracle mud only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • liverock only

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • macro algae only

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 2 or more of the following (dsb, macro, liverock, miracle mud)

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Equipment plus dsb or miracle mud

• Equipment plus liverock

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Equipment plus 1 or more of the following (dsb, macro, liverock, miracle mud)

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • bio-balls only

• bio-balls plus any of the above

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
Almost everyone has a sump or refugium tied into their tank, but what are you using them for? Any option I may have missed can be posted here :)

Last edited:
150 gallon stock tank sump, seperate 50 gallon stock tank refugium. Since the refugium is not contained within the sump, I chose "Equipment only".

Rubbermaid man here
Doubled up for better protection
Rock rubble, macros, and skimmer.

213459.jpg

Sump/Traditional Fuges no so much

I have equipment in my sumps. And I have a ecosytem mirical mud fuge.
But I also have 2 cpr fuges with dsb/crushed coral and dedicated with macro algee But they have Mated pistol shrimps with their own mated gobie pairs.
So hows that for awnser Krish.:D

alright this is a little silly.. how could you possibly have a sump with no equipement?

LOL!! It's not a silly question. You have some people out there who just use their sumps as a means of increased water volume and that's it. I wouldn't call a return pump equipment so a sump with just liverock, sand, macro etc but no skimmer, calcium reactor etc IMO is "without equipment" :)

can i revote then? lol

I can fix it for you...Which did you vote for? I will just remove one vote from that list and add it where you want your vote to go:)

For my 75g DT I use a 40R acrylic 4/5 lit fuge & 1/5 cryptic fuge without any equipment. 24/7 lit section has 'Miracle Mud' and a mix of macro sectioned off by a black divider into return/cryptic side with bio-balls then external Iwaki pump.
IMO a large enough fuge to DT ratio to actually consume nutrients from my overstocked and overfed system.

Todd

recent pic:
40gsump-fuge3-26-10.jpg

initial set-up
initialplumbingofsump.jpg

I have been running minimal cheto and minimal sand in my sump... Using a "gas off" system where my return pump is ball valved to spit on top of the sponge between the chambers... been up and running for about 4 months. so far so good

100 gallon sump with built in 20 gallon fuge. 3 types of macro in fuge. Heaters, skimmer, and calcium reactor in sump.

Back