Whats is SPS versus coral versus hard coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kramer9

I am in the 'research phase' for setting up my new 70g.

So far I have a custom sump, EV-120 skimmer, with a Mag 12 return pump, the SCWD closed loop will have a Mag 5. Lighting will be Sunpod Pro Series Light - 2 x 250W - 48 in. Overflow will be Continuous Siphon Overflow- CS102 - Two 1 in. bulkheads - 1200 gph

So now I am trying to figure out what direction to take with the tank and I can not find a clear understanding of with a SPS tank is, a LPS tank is, etc.

Trying to figure out what is compatible with what.

?

What he said below me about the LPS SPS...and advise.

I would like to add... Refuge addition is something I would seriously consider. Nitrate Phosphate export is something you would really want with LPS SPS tank.

And follow strict tank maintenance guidelines ..strict! Nothing like losing 60 dollar frag because your water chemistry or lighting or placement or even acclimation went wrong.

They are compatible... most advise either going Soft or Hard coral ...for some reason I've had advise not to mix them. But I have all 3 types in my tank and they are happy growing buggers.

Last edited:
SPS is hard coral. Small Polyped Stony Coral. LPS is Large Polyped Stony Coral. I would suggest switching the Mag pumps. You don't need the huge amount of flow through your sump/fuge. The Mag 12, used as a closed loop will give you much better flow inside the display.

Your lighting will be adequate to keep just about anything you want.

SPS tanks would be tanks that are only or predominately SPS corals.

Having a mixed reef, with SPS, LPS and soft corals can cause problem for the SPS, due to toxins that the soft corals can release. However, you'll find A LOT of people here on RF that have mixed reef tanks. Filtering with Carbon can cut down on those potential problems.

Oh and Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

SPS or Small Polyp Stonies usually require more light. They are more sensitive to water parameters.

LPS or Long Polyp Stonies are usually found in dirtier water. They both (SPS and LPS) can be harmed by improper alk and calcium. They both thrive in alternating current and feed by extending their polyps.

SPS and LPS can live in same aquarium as long as sweepers from LPS are not touching SPS. SPS also needs to be spaced from LPS or they too can sting LPS. Its a underwater War competing for space. I will sting you if you get in my way kind of thing.
That sting can lead to infection or possibly death of another coral.

SPS/LPS/and Fish

The sump will be a refug also, forgot to mention that part.

I am trying to come up with the 'right' KEWL combination for a beginner. I have been using vividaquariums.com to try and develop the right combo. The coral section has LPS and SPS and soft and . . . .

Really tough to come up with the right setup.

So I have been keying off of stuff like:
Green & White Pipe Organ
(Tubipora musica)
Stats
Care Level: Easy
Lighting Requirements: Moderate
Water Flow: Low to Moderate
Aggressiveness: Moderate
Range: Indo-Pacific
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Seems to be ok as long as I do not pick any fish with say 'coral unfriendly'

Kramer with the coral I wouldn't stress whats the "perfect stuff to pick out" aka Cool and how to place it and pre plan it all like that...

You will add corals well after cycle slowly and pieces at a time as you dwell in your local fish stores =). I say just go with the "flow"... Buy what you like... and picking things out that are hardy is good way to break into the hobby...eventually leading to more advanced sensitive corals as you perfect your maintenance and keeping your tank stable.

The care level easy stuff...I ignore it... Try to treat all coral like its your child =) and you will be good to go. In other words give them TLC and good tank maintenance on schedule... You will do fine.

You say you are a beginner so please do get a book on Marine Water Chemistry and a good test kit. Be sure it covers Nitrates, Nitrites, Phosphates,Amonia, High Range PH, Calc. and Alk. Understand why you test for each and the importance of reducing or keeping high levels of certain ones here are important.

You get that foundation of knowledge from there I think with the help of time , learning and visiting these forums you will do great.

Thanks for the info and feedback, I think you are affirming what I am learning. Do the best you can . .

I do have an active nano-reef and feel the 'need' for something bigger.

I know I want some type of clam(s) 'kewl' factor, so I guess I need to add a calcium test to my kit.

I had to google your lights^^ very cool. Good lights ... two 14ks in that puppy and you would be set. well I prefer 14ks

Yes the clams are pretty cool. I have to Maxima clams in my tank... I want to get more now.

Back