What's something cool I can put in my 300 gallon sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I just added a 300 gallon sump to my existing filtration system. I am up for suggestion on something cool I can put in there.

The only things I have in it are a carbon and a phosban reactor, a return pump, cheato, and a light hanging above it.

Actually there is a personifer angel, a cardinal fish, a black mollie, and a 26" long/3" thick pink sea cucumber. But all these guys are being moved this weekend so the sump will be open to new inhabitants.

The sump is black poly so you can't see through the sides, only from top. I was thinking maybe a big purple lobster or something cool like that since I could not have that in my other tanks.

Let me briefly list my current livestock so we don't double anything on something I already have.

Porcupine, panda, and dalmation puffers
Regal, Personifer, Potters Angels
Copperband and Teardrop Butterflys
Randalli and Yasha Gobies (with shrimps)
Bangaii and Orange Striped Cardinal pairs
Mozambique (fang-tooth) and Tail Spot Blenny pair
Purple Firefish pair
A dozen pearly jawfish
Replenescent Anthias
Black urchins and several clingfish
Moorish Idol
Sexy, Camel, Cleaner, Fire, and Peppermint Shrimp
Spike Fin Goby pair
Trio of candy cane micro-gobies

That's about it. Prolly forgot some but basically I want to do something different then I already have that will not take up any additional effort. I already have way too much time and energy spent in trying to keep the regal angel alive, as well as all the other crap I have to deal with in keeping up with all the tanks. I don't want a pain in the ass mandarin, pipefish, stuff like that that I have to worry about. Octopus and cuttlefish are cool as heck but the top would have to be sealed and since you cant see through the sides of the sump it would not be the best place for them. Something really cool but easy to take care of. I like the lobster idea but they hunt at night so it would seem to be a waste. I HATE eels so thats out. Do you guys have any ideas?

Last edited:
I think a school of green chromis would be cool something like 30 or 40 of them swimming together would look interesteing. JMHO

40 X ~$10-$15 each is a little on the expensive side. Cool idea though nonetheless.

as that amount I am sure a wholesale order would be appropriate. and I cant imagine they would be more than $3-4.

$3.99 at my store.

Flippin Californians!! :p

How about an egg crate rack for sponges and feather dusters to attach too, to form a low flow, low light benthic area helping promote even further diversity and filtration?

Like the one shown here or here.

Last edited:
I am not sure what volume your main display is, however..

With all that added water volume in your sump, why not just more that will fit into your main display? 300 gallons is a huge expansion for any tank and it's carrying capacity. Or maybe just more rock to allow for greater main display stocking.

as that amount I am sure a wholesale order would be appropriate. and I cant imagine they would be more than $3-4.

that's a little better. I was just going off the price my LFS sells them for and what LiveAquaria sells them for. but either way, its a cool idea but not 100% set on it. any other ideas?

I am not sure what volume your main display is, however..

With all that added water volume in your sump, why not just more that will fit into your main display? 300 gallons is a huge expansion for any tank and it's carrying capacity. Or maybe just more rock to allow for greater main display stocking.

display is 220, there is also another sump in this system thats 40 gallons but its dedicated to my skimmer and phosban reactors, heaters, etc.

i don't want to add more livestock to my display because I have a lot of finicky fish in there that no doubt benefit from a less crowded environment. my regal angel would be incredibly hard to feed if I had lot of fish in there competing for food. I have to literally feed him each individual piece of food otherwise he refuses to eat. incredibly annoying and time consuming. The copperband and moorish idol also like a less stocked environment.I like to keep the display undercrowded, regardless of what the filtering capacity of the system is. Also, my puffers are still relatively small, but once they get growing the tank is going to seem pretty small.

Last edited:
big NO to chromis. will you post pix of this 300 gallon sump? would love to see it!

since you don't like the chromis idea do you have any other ideas? remember, you can't see through the sides.
i just took a pic so i'll load the pics up to the website a little later today.

on another note, that sump must be releasing some mighty phosphates (plus the fact I took out my phosban reactor temporarily) because I have some INCREDIBLE hair algae growing on my barebottom that I swear was not there before I installed the sump. I got a pic of that too. It actually look real pretty waving in the flow.

ok i found a guy that has 30 chromis in his tank and its freakin awesome! But, I think it might not work out for me because you can only look down into the sump and not from the sides, so it seems like a waste.

i have a clown trigger in my 150 gallon stock tank used as a rdsb, he gets as much attention as my 600 main tank for some reason, probably his outgoing personality :D

Back