Whats the best calcium additive?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ynot reef

I was using C-balance but i wanted to try the new AquaVitro premium line from Seachem. Its called Calcification. You only use it twice a week vs. C-balanve everyday. Anybody heard anything good or bad about it?

Hi i use the seachem reef advantage calcium but not the one you are asking about seachem product seems to be ok i have used it for couple of years now.

mark

The one i'm talking about is their new line looks like white shampoo bottles. It was 14.99 for a 350ml bottle which it takes 7ml for every 25 gal of water so i figured why not. plus its not a two part like C-balance.

AquaVitro premium line from Seachem. Its called Calcification

I can't say I've heard anything about the stuff, but what will you use to supplement the alk if you drop the 2 part C-Balance?? :)

The bottle says it has gluconate-complexed calcium in it. It prevents calcium precipitations and alkalinity depletion. So do you think i should keep an eye on my alkalinity?

The bottle says it has gluconate-complexed calcium in it. It prevents calcium precipitations and alkalinity depletion. So do you think i should keep an eye on my alkalinity?

I think you should keep your eye on your skimmer. You are adding organics to your tank. A little can be good, but too much can cause problems.
If I remember correctly, these sugar-based calcium additives also have a shelf-life issue (at least some of them do). Does it say anything on the bottle?

no shelf life date on it? doesnt say anything about any sugar additives. what should i watch for on my skimmer? nothing unusual on my skimmer yet, but i just treated my tank with the product last night. let me know what to watch out for please.

You might see increased foaming.

You should also see increased polyp extension on your corals (especialy SPS).

Concerning the sugar reference - you said that the bottle said it was a gluconate complex. Hence my assumption of sugar.

I think I heard about the shelf life issue years ago at a PSAS meeting where somebody from Marc Weiss was talking about products. He handed out some samples and mentioned that they needed to be used while fresh.

I'll keep an eye on my skimmer its still normal today when i checked it. well on the shelf life its their brand new line. just came out at my friendly neighborhood pet store so i dont think its old but you never know. thanks for the info.

I've read anecdotal accounts of the gluconate-based calcium products causing algae issues in tanks where water quality was borderline. Something to keep in mind.

Back