What's the best canister filter for the buck?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

for a good price you can not go wrong with a Rena XP filter. they have big baskets, strong water flow and last for ever.

ehiem is probably the best canister...but expensive and if you need parts it might be hard to find a local dealer.

steer clear of fluvals. we got conned into trying them in our lfs again and have been dissapointed by them all the way around.

fluvals i got a 350 Im about to chuck out, if you want it its old and a peace of garbage, got in with that 150 i just bought. but

i wouldnt recommend giveing or useing it

If you really want a cannister filter, I like the Magnum 350 by Marineland

i used (and abused) a couple of marineland magnum 350s for years (i think one of them was almost ten years old when i last took it off line, and it was still working).
fairly inexpensive, easy to clean, and easy to get replacement parts if you should ever need them.
they get my vote

you sure can and i can say that they will last for ever. i had a H.O.T magnum for years and it was a tank.

so what is wrong with the fluval's?? I had a 404 put on my tank about 3 months ago and it seems to be working fine...

I have tried and owned all of the major types of canister filters, and I can say with out a doubt Rena XP. For functionality, ease of use and that it offers the biggest canister and filter media (more contact) available. There is no by pass of filter water, the disconnects shut off the flow at the same time that you disconnect the hoses. The cheapest way to buy them is to go online to pet smart and get the on line price, it must be the same or day prior day to the current date, then take it to you local brick and mortar store and they will match the on online price. This will be 40 to 50 percent less, this is also the best way to buy buckets of salt. If you get a clerk who says that they can't then ask for the manager. It is a expensive filter but half off is a great deal.

I have had all 3 kinds - Fluval - Magnum- Rena. I have used them on all my fresh water tanks - Did not like the fluval - Magnums I have so many 350's. I like them overall but the Rena XP3 filter does have the biggest can and contact time as afore mentioned - the company is just North of Philly and I oredered a part direct and had it in a few days. The only thing I did not like was the attached plumbing to and from the tank. I used it anyway and have been running it for I can't even remember how long. All of the 350's still run and I have had some of them over 10 years.

for a good price you can not go wrong with a Rena XP filter. they have big baskets, strong water flow and last for ever.

Got me one. I love it. I got the biggest one for about $90.

Back