whats the best skimmer or around $250

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

From what I have read it would be an Octopus NWB 150. They can be purchased around $199.99

the SWC 160 cone is hard to beat for $250
i think the 120 cone is too small for that tank.

in your price range I think the 160 cone is the best you can do.
and it is a badass skimmer btw...

the SWC 160 cone is hard to beat for $250
i think the 120 cone is too small for that tank.

in your price range I think the 160 cone is the best you can do.
and it is a badass skimmer btw...

Sorry to intrude but can you give me your opinion for a 120G with 29G sump
mostly softies with 3 tangs. I'm presently running an un-modded NW Octopus 200 with mediocre results. Best bang for the buck opinion if you would.

Thanks

Sooch

mostly softies with 3 tangs. I'm presently running an un-modded NW Octopus 200 with mediocre results. Best bang for the buck opinion if you would.

Thanks

Sooch

You said the magic word. Un-modded. I would save my money and mod that skimmer. Do the mesh and gate valve mods and see what that performance you get from that. You can do both for probably $20 or so. In fact, if you're local I'll give you some mesh material. The mesh mod makes a huge difference due to the increase air volume being injected into the water. The gate valve mod allows for precise control of water flow through the skimmer. You can easily adjust for light or dark skimmate, depending on what you want to do with the tank.

Lemme know if you're local and want some mesh.

Mike

Thanks

Sooch

well, there's about 4 different models of the octo nw 200, what year is yours, and do you have any pics? yes, you could mod the octo, but unless it's one of the most recent designs, I'd say sell it. and (depending on the model) the most important mods for the octo are the venturi and boaring out the plumbing, not the mesh and gate valve. the mesh mod does increase the air as well, but it's main job is to decrease the bubble size, giving more surface area, and the gate just allows slightly better control.

maus is right, the SWC extreme 200 (NOT the octopus extreme 200) for $279 or the SWC mini cone w/ sicce 2500 for $379

you could possible do the new SWC 160 cone, but it is right on the verge of possibly being too small for 120g. if it was a moderately stocked low bioload 120g then yes, it would be great, but if it's heavily stocked, i think you could use a little more power. I hear rumors of a 180 and 200 cone skimmer in the works for SWC, but im guessing that's a couple months away.

Last edited:
well, after reading luke33's experience with the 160 cone on his 125g heavily stocked tank, I'm going to recant and say that yes, you CAN run it on your 120g w/ 3 fish (dont get me started on tangs in a 4" tank:cry:).

and technically I have been prescribing 500-600lph of air injection as an amount of skimming required for 100g sps tanks for a couple years now,
that, coupled with the benificial effects of the cone/bp design on skimming, you should be golden. I just typically have the knee-jerk reaction to over-skim slightly.;)

lets try this, what would be the best buy for under 200 that i could mod to get better results that the hob remora that i have now

E-mail luke at reef filtration. I think he may be sending out the swc 120 cones with both mesh mod and pinwheel impellars. He's selling them for $199.00 and he thinks that they'll be available next Monday. I'm ordering the 160 cone. I love the small footprint.

lets try this, what would be the best buy for under 200 that i could mod to get better results that the hob remora that i have now

You started out with a figure and you got some good advice for a good skimmer for the incredable price of $250. Now your starting to go down hill.
If you want a skimmer that isn't going to be too small step up and pay the price.
$250 is pretty darn cheap for a good skimmer.
This isn't a area you want to go cheap on.

You started out with a figure and you got some good advice for a good skimmer for the incredable price of $250. Now your starting to go down hill.
If you want a skimmer that isn't going to be too small step up and pay the price.
$250 is pretty darn cheap for a good skimmer.
This isn't a area you want to go cheap on.
i see that know iam going with th swc

Back