whats the best skimmer or around $250

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lemme know if you're local and want some mesh.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike awfully generous of you, I appreciate it. Fact is I had purchased the Mod kit along with the Octopus at the same time. The more research I did on the mesh mod the more uneasy I became about doing it.
Primarily the load factors that was being generated by the mod. I can't remember the amp increase but it seamed significant and I was worried about
accomplishing a mod to a pump which may not be engineered to handle it in the long run as well as being possibly an electrical hazard.

I take it you've had no problems? Any ways I've got some time this weekend and will try the mod..what the hay what's the worst that could happen :D

Thanks again

Sooch

well, after reading luke33's experience with the 160 cone on his 125g heavily stocked tank, I'm going to recant and say that yes, you CAN run it on your 120g w/ 3 fish (dont get me started on tangs in a 4" tank:cry:).

Wow lot's of intel, thank you very much. My Octopus is barely two years old.
I'm gonna try the mesh mod this weekend while researching your list of skimmers.
Also my tank is a 6' tank maybe the picture gave you a distorted view of the tank, my bad for not being clearer... but I get your concern for the Tangs in a small tank .

Again thank you for your invaluable info, I'll have to research it and give it some thought.

Regards

Sooch:)

Just a thought here, Stormy, but I also ordered a new impeller assembly so that if I screwed up the mod or it didn't work well I could undo it. Impeller for my G4 was like $30 from Marine Depot.

Just a thought here, Stormy, but I also ordered a new impeller assembly so that if I screwed up the mod or it didn't work well I could undo it. Impeller for my G4 was like $30 from Marine Depot.

Sound advise, thank you.

Question, did you also do the venturi mod or just the mesh on the pin wheel?

Thanks
sooch

Could look at eshopps skimmers if you dont want to spend the coin on swc. I dream of soon owning a swc

Could look at eshopps skimmers if you dont want to spend the coin on swc. I dream of soon owning a swc

Thanks, gonna give my mod on my Octopus 200 which has a pinwheel pump this weekend a shot. :eek:
Need to school up on the SWC's, seem's like alot of good hype, who sells them?
Been trying to Google some reviews but seems to me that it's pretty new to the market and I've yet to find any reviews with pics and or comparisons to other skimmers. I'll try again this weekend unless you happen to have some links.

Thanks Again.

Sooch

Well after doing both the pin wheel mod and venturi mod I've got no spare parts laying around :) so I guess everything is put back together ok.

The Skimmer is preforming nicely but the noise level is definitely greater, not excruciatingly loud but it let's you know it's working harder then before with the mesh loaded on the pin wheels.

I don't have any equipment to let me know how much greater the load is but just from the sound, it's definitely working a little harder.

Thanks folks for your help.

Sooch

Good to hear. Swc Stands for Salt Water Connection. So far for the price to me there the best skimmer you can buy after seeing many perform. Alot of ppl on here own them themselves.

Back