What's the dowside to a nanocube?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
So, I think I'm going to get a 12 gallon nanocube for my office instead of changing my 90 gal to a 150 gal, lol. What's the biggest hastle when it comes to the nano's??
:?::p

Yah theres a few problems, depending on what you want to keep.

Youll have a few big issues.
Evaporation(Unless you add water all day long your SG will be in constant fluctuation)
Temperature(cooling a small tank is rediculous)
Bio load(Cant keep too much since you dont have a lot fo room for over pollution)

I see they have these Taam Rio Nano skimmers that are about 35.00 (Marine Depot). Is that worth a try??

ive had a few nano's 2.5's and 5g

the downside is the temp. the Top off's

its not that much harder, or at least i didnt have any problems... less choice of life to have...
not saying to cant have a jamed packed tank....

i think its not the downside that counts... its the up side.

less money to opperate.
less salt for water changes
less top off.
less everything

What's the biggest hastle when it comes to the nano's??
Reducing the number of fish, small fish only, better switch to keeping corals, and upgrading light.

Temperature swings and evaporation are an issue for both - big and small tanks. I have them one near the other, and if there are no air conditioning, this is a big issue for both of them in the summer.

Positive side: less work, I like nanos better (previously I posted "they looks better", but after getting "if your tank looks like sh(you know what)" I stopped doing this)) - compare gem to the forest, easily observable and controllable.

Not much place for a fish, unless they are panda gobies or shrimp gobies (then you can keep hordes), but you may find keeping corals and other invertebrates much more gratifying: you can add very many varieties in 12g, instead of couple of fish.

HTH

Yah theres a few problems, depending on what you want to keep.

Youll have a few big issues.
Evaporation(Unless you add water all day long your SG will be in constant fluctuation)
Temperature(cooling a small tank is rediculous)
Bio load(Cant keep too much since you dont have a lot fo room for over pollution)

I have a 12 dx, and love it.
I top off once a day.
Temp is only a problem in summer, and I have to leave the feeding door open.
I had one clown in it, but he got too large, and went into the 90. Right now mine i fishless.
I love the fact that I can use milk jugs for wcs, and IMO it looks very sophisticated.

Back