Whats wrong with my leather cabbage coral??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

koyoteturtle

sargasm fish
I have had this coral in my tank for 3 weeks. All has been good, till yesterday evening. I noticed that one of the branches had become dark in color and a slightly "crystalized". The condition is spreading to other parts of the coral.
75 gall
30 g refugium sump
250 w metal halide 20k
70 lbs live rock
shrooms
leather coral :(
zoos
ricordia
fox face
mandarin
2 true percula
Sebae anenome
brittle star
and a bicolor blemmy in a pear tree

It could be that it’s getting ready to shed off a layer of skin known as “sloughing”. Leather corals will do that but I personally never owned cabbage leather so it’s just a guess.... Hopefully others who do have these types of leathers will jump in to give their opinion. :)

Mine cycles through periods like that. Be sure you have enough flow to slough the skin off.

Yes that is not uncommon. I would not worry. My does that in in response to being out of the water or more commonly from being agravated by a fish. It will run its course. As my colony has becomse huge a hangs far off the rock it gets run into more often by the fish and will look like that. Despite this it still seems to be growing well. I am trying to lower the # of softies in my tank so I am going to frag my large colony of this later in the week and hopefully find a good home for some. If anyone in the Chicago area is looking for Cabbage leather :) please let me know.

the sloughing is natural growth and shedding of metabolites. If the mucous tunic lasts for more than 2 days or less... its a sign of inadequate water flow. FWIW

Back