Whats your definition of "Base Rock"?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Whats your Definition of "Base Rock"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sascha D

Heres a question for all you LR gurus out there! What is classified as "base rock" exactly? I've seen plenty of forums where base rock is mentioned and everyone seems to have a different opinion..

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Got pics? POST EM!

the base rock i buy has life on it already coraline and stuff base rock is more like boulderish peices rocks that dont have much form that are good to use for the base of a structuer

Base rock IMO is any rock void of any life or growth. Basically what you will find at a playground. Just my 2 cents :)

Ive never bin there yet... but i will be soon

so this is my thought..

once live Rock that is completely void or life... i mean "boulderish" to the 10th power.

my lfs has some nice base rock... its like tonga or once was that is white.. clean dry..

something like 1.50 a lb or something

what ever i get for base rock must be from the ocean at one point of another... takeing rocks from your backyard and cleaning IM eyes could run you in to trouble later on (i think)

what if the rocks leach out something that you dont want in your tank

(or someting that is not in the ocean)

make sence?

I would say 'dead live rock'. Stuff you find in a playground is a good example, as its sun-bleached, dry, 'clean' with no life in/on it.

ive used decrotive rock as base rock but that dosent make it base rock and then put stuff ive bought as base rock on top of it but as i said before the rock i see for sale as base rock, decretive rock or acro branch is always live and healthy and u can normally snag a few corals on any rock i buy

Stuff that goes on the base???? LOL. Better yet, stuff that doesn't cost a fortune????

I made about 60 lbs of "base rock". This stuff was cheap...but took a long, long time to cure. It will be added (slowly) to the 60 lbs of "live rock" (aka, rock that contains micro-organisms and beneficial micro-bacteria) to complete my aquascape.

Kris

Ive never bin there yet... but i will be soon

so this is my thought..

once live Rock that is completely void or life... i mean "boulderish" to the 10th power.

my lfs has some nice base rock... its like tonga or once was that is white.. clean dry..

something like 1.50 a lb or something

what ever i get for base rock must be from the ocean at one point of another... takeing rocks from your backyard and cleaning IM eyes could run you in to trouble later on (i think)

what if the rocks leach out something that you dont want in your tank

(or someting that is not in the ocean)

make sence?

makes sense...many kinds of rock could definitely affect PH or leach silicates into water.

I voted "dead" live rock. According to the poll it is the correct answer. What do I win?

I'm with Morgan on this one. Base rock is completely live, and used to form the base structure of your aquascape. It's the rock "underneath."

I voted "dead" live rock. According to the poll it is the correct answer. What do I win?

LOL you win the right to see the results!!

Truthfully I put any rock you want to hide. I've never actually seen any dried out rock being sold as base rock except maybe lace rock, which IMO is basically just loose concrete.

Whats your Definition of "Base Rock"?
"Live Rock with no visible life on it" usually found under all the good stuff, Its still live with micro organisims.

Dead rock you'd find in a play ground would more than likly be problematic, algea and leeching of bad stuff.

As for " Any old piece that you want to hide " any piece of what? live rock.

#1 "Live Rock with no visible life on it"

Back