Votes: 10 5.9%
  • LR, Skimmer, Fuge and/or ATS, Carbon

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Combo above plus Wet Dry

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Other (add below)

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters
what iam haveing trouble is that when i blow off the lr, before i can get the bigger stuff out with my net it all settles back on the lr, i think i will get some power heads, to blow on the lr, and start using my hot magnum filter...

I have live rock, skimmer, fuge with cheato, calurpa the fern looking stuff carbon, phosguard and one of my overflows runs into a plastic container that has eggcrate and a filter pad 3" off the bottom. it has a 1" bulkhead in the bottom for return to the sump. this catches some but not all crud entering the sump. my problem with high flow on the rocks is my lps get beat up. I have to blow around them.

daytonaconnecti said:
what iam haveing trouble is that when i blow off the lr, before i can get the bigger stuff out with my net it all settles back on the lr, i think i will get some power heads, to blow on the lr, and start using my hot magnum filter...

When you do a water change, siphon it up, and you can also run the siphon hose along the rock to pull the stuff off. Since you don't have a sump, another thing you can try is to put the filter sock in a bucket, and siphon off some water (running through the filter sock in the bucket), then dump it back in the tank when the bucket is full. Some people do this and have the water run back into the sump, but without a sump, you're stuck doing it manually.

Hope this helps!

Deep Sand Bed, Live rock, Aqua-Medic needle wheel skimmer, air driven refugium above tank, bio-balls, and the kitchen sink for RO-DI

daytonaconnecti said:
i noticed that 24% uses sand, lr, skimmer/and or carbon, what does that mean?

That just means of the voters, 24% use sand, live rock, skimmer and/or carbon in their systems. It doesn't mean that's what you should do, as all systems will function a little differently....it is just showing what percent uses those options as filtration. I've always felt it is important to understand what you do with your tank, and not do what everyone else does just because. BB systems will let you know when you've made mistakes, as any issues with BB tanks are real time. I had a poll awhile back on sand depth, so you can take a peek at it, and see what percent had sand and no sand: What's Your Sand Depth?

thanks nikki, i see what you mean, i was just trying not to make the mistakes that others went through, and learn from their expertese, to help save time and money.... iam going to stick with what i started, and find a way for good water flow over the lr, and a better way of cleaning the water after i blow off the lr, just bought a hot magnum, thinking of running it for awhile during and after...for a hour or so...

current filtration...

25 aga, instant ocean protien skimmer, w/maxi 1200 turbo venturi, #30 LR, #20 LS. (1.5"-2.0") DIY sump, 10 aga w/#4LR,#20 LS (3.5"dp.) 250 gph. calurpa & (money plant) one 4.0 ounce bottle of copepods.

whats your filtration

i agree with FFrankie, more bio. i use the basics, skimmer (Aquarium Systems) "instant ocean" LS (fiji pink) 2.5"-3.0", LR #30 (fiji,tonga) DIY sump 10 aga 4.5" figi pink, calurpa, bubble algae, (moneytree) & hair algae, sock & sponge. two Purigen cleaner socks. parameters stay perfect, with Ca2 @500. m.-mud came out after set-up.

"Sand, LR, Skimmer, and/or Carbon"

38gal (tall)
3" course sand (type stuff)
50lbs live rock (including 15lbs in the sump)
filter sock, skimmer (no carbon at this time)

Edit:
I intend to double (maybe larger) the size of my tank this spring/summer
will use same basic setup, but hoping to add a fuge

Back