What's your worse tank related flood??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

We were on vacation. The power went off. When it kicked back on the syphon on my overflow failed. The return pump emptied the 30gal sump. I also have an automatic top off attached to my RO water tank. This continued to fill the sump. It must have happened early morning of the day we returned. Salinity was down to 1.12.
The tank sat (notice I said sat) in our large eat in kitchen. It flooded and warped the floors, ran down the walls into our finished basement. It took out the ceiling tiles in the basement and peeled the dry wall off the walls.
Good thing, my wife got the new kitchen floor she wanted, I upgraded to a 90gal with built in overflows that now sits in the refurbished finished basement.
-Salty

Saltmaniac said:
We were on vacation. The power went off. When it kicked back on the syphon on my overflow failed. The return pump emptied the 30gal sump. I also have an automatic top off attached to my RO water tank. This continued to fill the sump. It must have happened early morning of the day we returned. Salinity was down to 1.12.
The tank sat (notice I said sat) in our large eat in kitchen. It flooded and warped the floors, ran down the walls into our finished basement. It took out the ceiling tiles in the basement and peeled the dry wall off the walls.
Good thing, my wife got the new kitchen floor she wanted, I upgraded to a 90gal with built in overflows that now sits in the refurbished finished basement.
-Salty

Now that sounds like a Nikki flood LOL

Since I don't have any flood stories of my own I will continue to share the ones of others I know. About ten years ago a family I knew through the LFS I worked for decided to have a custom tank built in a new home they were building. The display tank was 700gallons built by someone who I am glad to have forgotten. Somewhere along the way the front of the tank was not put on right and when it was about 3/4 full the whole thing went kablooie. Somehow nobody was hurt and they got most of it on video. Basically tens of thousands of dollars in damage and about half of the house had to be rebuilt.
I'm just glad I wasn't there, I did get to see the damage later though.

Tim

Just a little side note to the flood issue. If you do have a major flood and it goes down your heater vent, be sure to have it dried out. Some vent pipes under houses are just fiberglass wrapped plastic fleixble pipe or fiber of some type. If the water stays in there it can ruin them. Not to mention the black mold spores that can grow and then pump back out into the air you breathe:(

Back