When did the livestock for sale section policy change?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Krish! Interesting name if that is your real one. It sounds like mine when I am teh drunks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rules are good for the sponsors..
I think cooler heads prevail..
PLUS 90% of us has eachothers numbers, or a way to get ahold of one another, or some one on here to get ahold of another member,, one way or another besides posting a thread..
what happened to a good old fasion Phone call??? I think these smart phones still take calls..(I'm still trying to convince my 13 year old this)
Most of the time you know who is gonna join in a group by. anyway... PM or call them.. and they may know someone else who might want something too..
I joined in a group by from an online frozen food place and it was never even on the boards..

I love all of you on here (except EVERYONE named MIKE) .. life is too short to battle over a stupid coral or group by....
DUDES and CHICKS, pick up the phone....make a call say hi, and have a coke and a smile

"I still think RF has the best atmosphere compared to any other forum out there and it would be good for us to keep it that way."

I couldn't have said it better.

I was only on the corporate side of the business for the past couple of years, so I didn't visit the forums much. For the past 4+ years we never stopped sponsoring RK. The reason, because it has the friendliest group of reefers out there.

I don't know many forums that allow group orders from non sponsors; whether it be car, motorcycle or fish forums. This kind of stuff was solved pretty easy in our area by the local clubs just taking care of the group orders at the monthly meetings. It usually takes a month to get these things taken care of anyway.

When it comes to forums, RF is one of the best deals out there. I'm trying not to get too deep into this. It is 16 times cheaper than the largest reef forum and 6 times cheaper than the next largest. It is important for companies to know where their advertising dollars are going. So, the next time you buy something from a vendor let them know what forum you found them on or what forum you favor. Believe me when I tell you that the owners of this forum aren't getting rich off this, they are probably getting more heat from their better halves than it is worth.

I don't run into the group buy problem because I work with distributors. Every now and then I will get a distributor that calls me and tells me that a store is going to do a group buy for a club. At that point I cut a deal with the distributor and they cut a deal with the store. I keep my distributor happy and the store gets guaranteed business. Everybody wins. :)

Can't we all just be happy like this coral?
DSCN7518_edited-1.gif

I thought about going through all of the reasons why we do things, we stayed up all night (Well krish and Mike)everyone owe's these two a thumbs up. The messages below sum it up well. Our rules aren't perfect, the group buy thing started issues a while back and yesterday it drew a line, we implemented some strategy to alert users (Rather short notice apologies). We're not perfect, I'm not close, people here don't like me, even when I was a mod but I must say I hope the majority of friends and people I communicate with me do like me and what I'm trying to do. Some changes are coming for sure, I would like to actually shorten the user agreement to something we can remember and understand and make another statement below it to help explain things. We reserve the right to do most whatever we want here, it is in the user agreement, all of it is up to us however we decide basically, so there is really no argurment there but that isn't how we run the site. This issue has grown in time, people are all tight these days, I wish I could release all constraints to these forums, make everyone happy and give everyone a chance to get cheap frags or whatever. The clear fact is, this is a Reefing forum, a community of people with the same passion for reefs tanks etc and a Discussion board. All of the other stuff is secondary, even the sponsors. We try to work with everyone, Sponsors and users alike but when we grow, people grow, change with the economy etc, the progress of keeping corals has exploded in the past ten years, last five years and now we can do almost anything we want, for a price.
All I want is to have that little reefing community we once had, making the changes sucks, the rules aren't perfect but it is in our hearts to do what we think is right to make things better. Right now lots of things are going on in the back ground, I'm still learning and I'm making mistakes, just like when I started reefing, and modding a site. MoJO (Mike) was great to extend his hand to me ten years ago and recently again to help keep the site running rather than shut it down, so my pledge is to devote whatever time I can to run all of the many companies that it takes to support this site, learn the management part, keep the site alive and running, then slowly look forward to next year and grow the site, upgrade it some and do what I can to improve things, Mike and I have good communications (when we can talk) we're both busy and have lives on top of this, right now this is putting me under enough pressure to run it alone, issues like this is difficult to fit in but necessary.
Again, I'm sorry for the issues, we do have server/site issues that I'm working on, we have forum issues like this I'm working on, with a really great staff and cool members and sponsors the like. Once we get things tweaked and site running smooth, we'll look into this again and see what can be done on our part to help users, not sure how much we can do but we'll try, I push the mods to help the people on this forum hard but not so much push that they want to quit, just Krish! :D
Ok, I'm going to post this and let the thread go for comments but if it goes out of hand or gets derailed we'll close it, people just can't understand us or what we type or just plain don't read anything we post but rather argue until we give in but what we do is as a staff group, together with good intension's, I Love Reef Frontiers, If anyone doubts that, come sit in my chair a day! :p

I think the rules are good for the sponsors..
I think cooler heads prevail..
PLUS 90% of us has eachothers numbers, or a way to get ahold of one another, or some one on here to get ahold of another member,, one way or another besides posting a thread..
what happened to a good old fasion Phone call??? I think these smart phones still take calls..(I'm still trying to convince my 13 year old this)
Most of the time you know who is gonna join in a group by. anyway... PM or call them.. and they may know someone else who might want something too..
I joined in a group by from an online frozen food place and it was never even on the boards..

I love all of you on here (except EVERYONE named MIKE) .. life is too short to battle over a stupid coral or group by....
DUDES and CHICKS, pick up the phone....make a call say hi, and have a coke and a smile
I couldn't have said it better.

I was only on the corporate side of the business for the past couple of years, so I didn't visit the forums much. For the past 4+ years we never stopped sponsoring RK. The reason, because it has the friendliest group of reefers out there.

I don't know many forums that allow group orders from non sponsors; whether it be car, motorcycle or fish forums. This kind of stuff was solved pretty easy in our area by the local clubs just taking care of the group orders at the monthly meetings. It usually takes a month to get these things taken care of anyway.

When it comes to forums, RF is one of the best deals out there. I'm trying not to get too deep into this. It is 16 times cheaper than the largest reef forum and 6 times cheaper than the next largest. It is important for companies to know where their advertising dollars are going. So, the next time you buy something from a vendor let them know what forum you found them on or what forum you favor. Believe me when I tell you that the owners of this forum aren't getting rich off this, they are probably getting more heat from their better halves than it is worth.

I don't run into the group buy problem because I work with distributors. Every now and then I will get a distributor that calls me and tells me that a store is going to do a group buy for a club. At that point I cut a deal with the distributor and they cut a deal with the store. I keep my distributor happy and the store gets guaranteed business. Everybody wins. :)

Last edited:
Hiya Krish! Interesting name if that is your real one. It sounds like mine when I am teh drunks.

LOL! It is short for Krishna (and not "hare krishna" the hindu god :p ). Got the name from my dad who decided he wanted to punish his only son with a name that can be used for either a girl or boy. I hate it and really wished he thought about things first because for starters, I'm not even Indian :confused: :lol:

LOL! It is short for Krishna (and not "hare krishna" the hindu god :p ). Got the name from my dad who decided he wanted to punish his only son with a name that can be used for either a girl or boy. I hate it and really wished he thought about things first because for starters, I'm not even Indian :confused: :lol:
Hey, he could have named you "SUE"

I thought about going through all of the reasons why we do things, we stayed up all night (Well krish and Mike)everyone owe's these two a thumbs up. The messages below sum it up well. Our rules aren't perfect, the group buy thing started issues a while back and yesterday it drew a line, we implemented some strategy to alert users (Rather short notice apologies). We're not perfect, I'm not close, people here don't like me, even when I was a mod but I must say I hope the majority of friends and people I communicate with me do like me and what I'm trying to do. Some changes are coming for sure, I would like to actually shorten the user agreement to something we can remember and understand and make another statement below it to help explain things. We reserve the right to do most whatever we want here, it is in the user agreement, all of it is up to us however we decide basically, so there is really no argurment there but that isn't how we run the site. This issue has grown in time, people are all tight these days, I wish I could release all constraints to these forums, make everyone happy and give everyone a chance to get cheap frags or whatever. The clear fact is, this is a Reefing forum, a community of people with the same passion for reefs tanks etc and a Discussion board. All of the other stuff is secondary, even the sponsors. We try to work with everyone, Sponsors and users alike but when we grow, people grow, change with the economy etc, the progress of keeping corals has exploded in the past ten years, last five years and now we can do almost anything we want, for a price.
All I want is to have that little reefing community we once had, making the changes sucks, the rules aren't perfect but it is in our hearts to do what we think is right to make things better. Right now lots of things are going on in the back ground, I'm still learning and I'm making mistakes, just like when I started reefing, and modding a site. MoJO (Mike) was great to extend his hand to me ten years ago and recently again to help keep the site running rather than shut it down, so my pledge is to devote whatever time I can to run all of the many companies that it takes to support this site, learn the management part, keep the site alive and running, then slowly look forward to next year and grow the site, upgrade it some and do what I can to improve things, Mike and I have good communications (when we can talk) we're both busy and have lives on top of this, right now this is putting me under enough pressure to run it alone, issues like this is difficult to fit in but necessary.
Again, I'm sorry for the issues, we do have server/site issues that I'm working on, we have forum issues like this I'm working on, with a really great staff and cool members and sponsors the like. Once we get things tweaked and site running smooth, we'll look into this again and see what can be done on our part to help users, not sure how much we can do but we'll try, I push the mods to help the people on this forum hard but not so much push that they want to quit, just Krish! :D
Ok, I'm going to post this and let the thread go for comments but if it goes out of hand or gets derailed we'll close it, people just can't understand us or what we type or just plain don't read anything we post but rather argue until we give in but what we do is as a staff group, together with good intension's, I Love Reef Frontiers, If anyone doubts that, come sit in my chair a day! :p

Oh when your on top no one likes you.. :)
Why did you quote me?!?!?

I have a thought about this and maybe it’s already been considered.

To better serve the community of people that are using this site for personal information, drop the sponsors and turn the site back into what you say it once was, a place for reefers to gather and communicate. All of these problems are arising from the fact it is paid sponsor run and the paying sponsors making a stink about some other business name being mentioned. Let the reefers pay a subscription fee like this site once had and then there will be no more problems like this.

Maybe I’m way off base on this but I guess if this site is turning into a “for profit” site then it can no longer be useful as a tool to truly help the individuals that seek knowledge. It will be to geared towards the sponsors and you can not give a honest opinion about anything. That’s not the kind of site I want. If someone thinks some product is good, bad, or other then I think that person should be able to say so. If they can’t then the information is useless and one sided.

If we go to a membership run site again this would not be a problem. We can freely talk about what ever company, product, or service we want. Isn’t this a better way to gain knowledge, find better products, services, and save money? A truly open forum wound be the way to do that.

I say let the people speak not the sponsors on this site and make it a subscriber site with limited free access to the information. Many sites are like that.

To better serve the community of people that are using this site for personal information, drop the sponsors and turn the site back into what you say it once was, a place for reefers to gather and communicate. All of these problems are arising from the fact it is paid sponsor run and the paying sponsors making a stink about some other business name being mentioned. Let the reefers pay a subscription fee like this site once had and then there will be no more problems like this.

Maybe I’m way off base on this but I guess if this site is turning into a “for profit” site then it can no longer be useful as a tool to truly help the individuals that seek knowledge. It will be to geared towards the sponsors and you can not give a honest opinion about anything. That’s not the kind of site I want. If someone thinks some product is good, bad, or other then I think that person should be able to say so. If they can’t then the information is useless and one sided.

If we go to a membership run site again this would not be a problem. We can freely talk about what ever company, product, or service we want. Isn’t this a better way to gain knowledge, find better products, services, and save money? A truly open forum wound be the way to do that.

I say let the people speak not the sponsors on this site and make it a subscriber site with limited free access to the information. Many sites are like that.

Or even a hybrid of both for that matter. Have sponsors and paying members, with three types of locations general public(where the rules are intact), the sponsors section(where they run their buisness), and the premium members ONLY(not premiums and sponsors) section where we have things like a place for groupbuy from whom we like etc.... At that point we too would be paying for a service, is there a problem whit that?

Sounds like we are talking about scrapping a good thing..
Group buys for non sponsor companies triggered discussions of radically changing the fundamental purpose for the site... What is so difficult about pm'ing people to get a group buy together rather than remove this resource (or a large portion of it) from those of us who can barely scrape the money together to slowly build the systems we have. Add dues for membership to that and you push alot of us out of the reeding community...

Your Way Off base here, you know why?

We always was sponsored, you just don't start a site like this over night, It took lots of planning and the start was very ruff and expensive, the owners dished out lots to get the site running.
We did at one time have premium membership but not nearly enough to support even a quarter of what it cost to run this site or any site of equal, it isn't free!
We couldn't do it on half the sponsors and the rest members, what about all of the people that can't afford to pay, we'd have to jack up the price higher, each month begg the members to cough up the money or even if it is a yearly membership it isn't enough and the work load is lots higher, you your doubling the staff work load, your doubling mine because i run it and we already have lives and busy schedules and no one gets paid here, we're all for free!
So, there you have it, next? lol!
I said enough, this is done, you know my feelings, one or two members can't determine how the site is run, the owners ultimately do that, no one else unless you have your own site, then it is perfectly fine! ;)

This topic is deemed done, finished, If I let it continue, you'll drill it until new year LOL! I do appreciate everyones input, thanks! :)

Last edited:

This site has never been NON Sponsor funded. It used to have Premium Membership and Free Membership, but still had paying Sponsors.

Even if Premium Memberships were re-instated, which we hope to do, in the future, Sponsor financing is still what keeps this site up and running. Premium Memberships aren't enough to cover expenses, IMO.

Members have always been allowed to speak, even about vendors. However, the classified forums have never been intended to be used to promote commercial business.

Reef Frontiers has never been about promoting commercial businesses. Sponsors are promoted, because they pay to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back