When does a clown tang mature?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BJTenn

I have had this ugly gray tang that only shows his stripes (just barely) when he is aggitated. I've had him almost a year and was told he was juvenile. LFS (who I hold in very little regard) says years. Well is that one, two, five???

clown tang?

Funny you mention that because I saw something somewhere (I've looked so many places, I'm dizzy), but I thought it looked more like it because mine has dots all around his face and lines beginning behind his head. If that makes sense. You can see the shadow of the markings is the way I can tell. The dots seem almost orange which is the fish that I saw. The local LFS had some juveniles and said that was what they were.....

I don't know??:cry: :doubt:

Clown photos in process

maybe i can post a decent picture. Check back in a few days :lol:

Just Great!

I was going to say if it had a yellow eye, I would say kole tang also. Do you know when they mature??

Oh and the other thing was that a kole tang isn't supposed to be aggressive. This guy is king of the tank or else!

i am no expert by any means, but this doesn't look like a clown trigger..it may be the angle of the pic, but the nose on your fish looks very pointed

Def not a clown. Either a atlantic blue or kole tang is my guess. Does it have yellow around its eyes? Has it turned any more blue since you had it?

Oh, no it doesn't have yellow around its eyes that was what threw me off. The guy who sold it to me, well nevermind......

Do you know how long it takes a Kole to mature????

I've had this guy about 9 mos.

Sorry, I keep not answering questions. I'm distraught you see, I was waiting on a beautiful fish!!!

It was not more yellow when I first got. It was smaller and if anything looked a little more light blue under the light at the store. It color is pretty true on my photos.

I don't really think so...

I went to that link and the lines on that fish are downward and back, mine are straight back and he has spots on his face/head. His body really looks a bit lighter than that all over. But who knows...I guess I'm stuck with him....

That pic hows a full grown adult, yours in time will develop into that, then this is a 10" fish when fully grown. It will take a couple of yrs. for it to grow that big.

What store did you get it at?
Clown tangs are shaped completely different.
I live in Bowling Green KY and drive down to the _______ ______ in nashvegas everyonce in a while. I like them, but I have heard some crazy stuff told to people there. Like mandirin gobies will posion a tank. Uh no thats not ick. Its sand. Other various random stuff. It doesnt bother me, I know what I am buying. The best was no thats sand. I didnt say a word, but it was hard not to.

Yeah, "after" they sold it to me I looked up and found the clown tang is 15" fish!!! 10" will be big enough if thats what I got..

Back