When moving live rock does your water get cloudy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey pork, I dont remember if you have a sump or not, but if you do, the aqua c urchin works great on our 58g (70g water volume w/sump), and if you dont have a sump they make a hang-on type, the urchin remora which would work well (and can be used in a sump if you need later) for your setup

hey pork, I dont remember if you have a sump or not, but if you do, the aqua c urchin works great on our 58g (70g water volume w/sump), and if you dont have a sump they make a hang-on type, the urchin remora which would work well (and can be used in a sump if you need later) for your setup

I dont have a sump yet i am gonna do a DIY sump from a 20 gallon tank i have. so the urchin remora will be good to hang on back. If i get a skimmer would i still need to do Water changes? JW Thanks for the info

You will always need to do water changes. It's just standard practice in the hobby and is a must. It not only helps export out bad things Nitrates etc., but it also help replenish stuff taken up by the tank inhabitants. IE: Calc, MG, Alk etc.

As for a good skimmer. I agree the Aquac Remora would be a good choice for a HOT (Hang On Tank). Once you get a sump the options open up to what's available. Of course you still going to be limited somewhat by what your sump will actually hold.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AquaC

Tunze makes a good skimmer that goes in the tank.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TUNZESKIM

PM makes a HOT.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...en=PROD&Product_Code=PM-HOT1&Category_Code=PM

This might be a good one to mimic a for a DIY since most of the items should be fairly easy to obtain or make.

Like these. I found a used one i might buy do these look like they can hang on the back?

61a3_1.JPG

The good all sea clown.. Don't waste your money. They just don't work all that great. You'd be better saving your money. I actually have one that I bought when before I knew better and before I found RF. I have it on my QT tank in the garage. It doesn't really produce and skimmate. I've even modified to add a wood air block to see if can get to produce anything.

You might want to post a WTB (Want To Buy) in the equipment for sale forum. You might find someone out here looking to sell one.

oh ok i am just trying to find one cheap. These to skimmers are on ebay and there current bid is 5.50 and 15 to ship them any where in the U.S. The bidding ends tomarow afternoon. I just really cant afford an expensive one. Do u know if those might be hang on back ones in the picture?

They are HOT.. From the looks of the picture though their missing the pumps. the supposed to have Maxi-Jet Pump connected the tube. It's not something you can take any old MJ1200 and attach there's special twist connection on to look the MJ on this tube.

Edit: Their also missing the venturi.

pork, look into the remoras, they are around 160 at the most expensive places, plus you can drop it in your sump when its built. I am partial, as I have the sump version of the remora, and for the amount of water I have it works great

They are HOT.. From the looks of the picture though their missing the pumps. the supposed to have Maxi-Jet Pump connected the tube. It's not something you can take any old MJ1200 and attach there's special twist connection on to look the MJ on this tube.

Edit: Their also missing the venturi.

They have MJ 1200 too.
What are venturi's?

Okay, They must not be pictured. The venturi connects the pump and is where the air hose is connected. This allows the pump to draw in air and water at the same time.

Back