When to test?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

When is the best time to test your water? Early before lights. Middle of photoperiod. Late when lights just go off. Testing other than ph.

Hmmm...Never really thought of that one. I usually test mine before a feeding in the middle of the photoperiod. Not sure really why I do it then other than I don't want the food to alter anything...:)

I would try several times per day, like am, early afternoon and pm to see if there are any shifts. Let us know what you find out.

Knowing the highs and lows is good idea. As far as when to test, doesn't really matter. The only thing I would suggest is trying to test at the same approximate time each day. This will let you know how stable the tank is which is as important as the actual results of each test.

Cheers
Steve

macronut said:
I would try several times per day, like am, early afternoon and pm to see if there are any shifts. Let us know what you find out.
Macronut, I agree with you. While knowing every little swing of pH in your tank will do nothing but drive you nuts---taking a two week period every now and then to test several times a day can help keep an eye on what your pH range runs and possibly help with diagnostics if need be.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Anne

Back