Where do I start? (current Question)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mdbv25

I'm getting my 75g RR on Thursday, I bought a Eheim 1250 intake pump for my 30g Refugium, and the pump is 325gph at 4' of head room. I'm still searching for a skimmer (ASM or Octopus). My question is what do I need to create more current or do I need more than what the Eheim will create?

I plan on going with 2'' +/-, LR and in the future a couple of corals that can deal with low light situations.

So do I need more current? Could I just get away with a SCWD?

Ps. I am interested in more fish than rock and corals, but as any enthusiast wants, they always end up with a cerain amount of corals in the tank.

Michael. :?:

If you want any corals at all you will want a power head or two. You want at least 10 - 20X turnover in the tank and the 325 going through the sump should be fine. Get a decent skimmer, don't skimp on that and lighting... Check out the new to reefing section and you will find alot of info....

I would like to discourage you from using a scwd with that pump as your return.
They really restrict flow.
I would suggest looking at getting a couple seio's for some inside the tank flow. Maybe the 820 or 1100?

A asm with the recirc mod is a pretty decent skimmer. There is even a mod you can do to the sedra needlewheel pumps that increase production.

If you have a bigger budget look at getting a tunze for internal flow and maybe a euroreef skimmer.

If you have a BIG budget, check out the tunze's with a controller and Bubblemaster skimmers.:)

Here's a thread to give you some idea as to what people use for flow in various sized tanks. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18140 325 gph for a 75gal won't be enough by far IMO. You want to be able to catch all deadspots in the tank to keep detritus in suspension and so powerheads may be the way to go. Seio's are great powerheads for the price and Tunze's are always great!:D

saio 1100

I just bought an 1100 from a reefer on Boston Reefers Assoc. ..... Things are coming together. I'm going to look at tunzes for skimmers. I greatly appreciate your guys feedback.

Michael :)

Ouch!!

I just looked up the tunze website for skimmers, and (jaw hit floor) it's still there, the bubblemasters are freak'n expensive!! So to recap I will be looking for an ASM or Octopus skimmer.

But I did get the seio 1100 so that's that... :) :)

LOL!!!:p Never tried a Tunze skimmer, but I know their powerheads are worth every penny:)

i don't know if they are worth every penny:rolleyes: ..i could go with a very nice closed loop that would be better and cheaper:D ....check out the Octopus skimmers...(AquariumExtreme.com)..they are closed for a few days, but i just talked to Bob a few days ago..he has every model in stock..i have one and i love it!!!

I just looked up the tunze website for skimmers, and (jaw hit floor) it's still there, the bubblemasters are freak'n expensive!! So to recap I will be looking for an ASM or Octopus skimmer.

But I did get the seio 1100 so that's that... :) :)

I told you,,,big budget and BIG budgets.

Once in a while the asm's and octopus skimmers hit the used equipment forum here and reef central.
Look at a couple websites, see what a average price is for a new one,, then hit the boards check out the used market. The skimmer bodies don't wear out, but the pumps do. So figure on maybe having to replace the impeller on anthing used.

on your 75g, you could go with the Octopus 150 NW...it should be about $160, or around that

i don't know if they are worth every penny ..i could go with a very nice closed loop that would be better and cheaper

LOL! Closed loops are more expensive if you try to match the flow to a tunze with a good quality pump like Sequence and then buy all the plumbing and stuff and then not to mention all the time you'll need to set it up. :p

i think i am going to upgrade the pump on mine for a little more flow!! i have a Mag12...i am thinking a Mag 18...

Back