Where do most folks get their water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

godzen

I'm in the process of learning about saltwater tank. Have been keeping freshwater for awhile. I understand that either one has to buy water from a LFS or buy a RO unit to make water at home?

You can do either but let me tell you from experience, going to the LFS for water all time gets old quick. If you watch the classified section you can usually pick up a slightly used RODI unit for home or you can get a new one from many of the sponsors here. They are worth their weight in gold.

Agree ro/di unit for ur own is best. I used to get ro from safeway...distilled from Walmart before that lol.

I get mine from glaciers vendo machines for the past 3 years. Then i just mix my own. They have consistent reading of "0" on my TDS meter. Hope this helps.

coolers.jpg

Attachments

• coolers.jpg
    coolers.jpg
    65.9 KB
I always bought my ro/di water from one of the water plants here. I just buy the 5 gal bottles and call it a day. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, thanks guys...obviously, I'm in the process of doing my research and know this is a long process but how often do you guys change water when starting new tank and once it is established and how much each time?. With my freshwater discus, I do about 50% water change per week on a 75 gallon...

It really depends on the tank, parameters and equipment. 50% water change would cost me a fortune! I do something like 15-20G every 2-3 weeks on a 110g, but I Dont really do it on a regular schedule. I like to watch the tank and and whats living inside will let me know when its time.

Dennis

godzen,

Welcome to RF !!

RO/DI unit is your best bet as I agree with Eric getting water from a LFS gets old quickly.

I am still in the process of setting up my 90 gal. Filling it up is quite the task. I saved up and went straight for an RO/DI unit instead of buying water. I can tell you this. It is quite the process filling jugs, buckets, rubbermade containers, whatever, just to get enough water to start a tank (can't forget the 40 gal sump, gotta fill that too!). But after its running I know a RO/DI will save trips to stores.

That's been my experience as a saltwater novice just getting my feet wet. In the end I think it beats hauling buckets of heavy water in and out of your car.

I have an RO/DI in my basement and I fill up brute trash cans as reservoirs.

If you are interested in a unit, shoot me a pm. I have a spare. It is not that efficient (waste to pure water ratio) and not all that fast. But, if you have a small tank it might hold you over. No TDS meter and needs new filters. Anyway, if this sounds interesting, shoot me a PM and I can send you some pics with the model number, etc. Just sitting in my basement right now.

I use an RO/DI unit with the drinking water tank. Therefore, I have fairly quick access to 5 gallons of RO/DI water for the tanks and also have drinking water and nice ice cubes.

If you buy a used unit, if the filters and membrane have to be replaced, they can cost almost as much as a new unit.

Use an RO/DI system. I don't want to even think about the gas + back ache of trying to get it from the store. This is the reason they invented in door plumbing.

Back