where do your fish sleep?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
My wrasse usually sleeps completely buried, but I guess this time he figured all he needed to do was bury his eyes. lol

28yc.jpg

I have a dog that believes that nothing could possibly ever harm her as long as she can put her head under my bed.
4the of July, heart beating 1000 miles and hour from fireworks, runs in the bedroom, head under the bed, 3 minutesties later she's aslpee.
Is that a crushed coral substrate? I thought that was something you couldn't do with sand sleeping wrasses? I have a very shallow sand bed, but its mixed with crushed coral. I've avoided wrasses for that...

ah, well, thats kind of disappointing, lol. Must be perspective in the picture fooling my eyes. Thanks.

:) sweet... i'd have to add sand for wrasses anyway since all i really have is enough to not see the glass.. so maybe at some point i'll just siphon it off anyway

My wrasse usually sleeps completely buried, but I guess this time he figured all he needed to do was bury his eyes. lol

28yc.jpg

She's upside down? How long have you had her? I'd agree that substrate is too coarse for a leopard wrasse... Maybe consider mixing in some finer sand somewhere.

Yes it is upside down.

I've had this wrasse for about 4 years with this substrate and it's doing just fine.

Hmm, interesting! Silly fish then :)

It has a area that it has been going to for several years where the aragonite sand is deepest. So when I saw it in this position, I thought it was dead. Belly up.
I reached in to grab it and both of us were surprised.
It really isn't as big as it looks. It's not super fine, has been ok for it.

With a dslr and photo editing...........................

Sorry a bit off topic... I was thinking of getting a wrasse, but do I have to worry about the inverts in my tank when having one?

Sorry a bit off topic... I was thinking of getting a wrasse, but do I have to worry about the inverts in my tank when having one?

I have a McCoskers Wrasse and he doesn't bother any of my inverts. I got a Melanurus Wrasse to take care of some flatworms, which he did. At first the McCoskers chased the Melanurus around and I taped a mirror on the end of the tank. The McCoskers started attacking the Wrasse in the mirror so after about 4 hours I took the mirror down and he hasn't bothered him since. The other day I got some blue legged hermit crabs and the Melanurus started to attack them, but the McCoskers did not. Some of the crabs escaped and he hasn't bothered them since, but he went after them at first. He never has bothered my snails or my small Coral Banded Shrimp. I also have fine oolite sand and the Melanurus dives into it as well as some of my dartfish and blenny. Most of my fish sleep in behind the rocks and I know that my Zebra Barred Dartfish sleep in the sand, but as far as the rest, they sleep out of sight.

Last edited:
I lost my melanrus to a tank crash, but I swear to you once he had finished of the entire clean up crew in his tank, I could see him staring longingly at my nem tank, plotting a way to get those guys too. He was a great fish, but he was going to share his tank with anything that crawled. Could have been his personality more than a general trend in them though.

This depends on the wrasse that you choose. Some great reef safe wrasses include flashers (Paracheilinus), fairies (Cirrhilabrus), and leopards (Macropharyngodon). Halichoeres are some of my favorite wrasses, but certain species can be a danger to a CUC (ie melanurus, though plenty do just fine with small inverts). They are considered reef safe with caution, in that they won't bother corals but a large specimen might eat small members of the clean up crew.

Ahh, guess I'll have to move along. I've been wanting one, but I have a shrimp, nems, and a good clean up crew.

Since the crabs that survived got into the rocks he hasn't bothered them. It was only when they got onto the sand. My McCoskers Wrasse has nevered bothered anything.

Back