Where to find seahorses?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cavyroo

BAM! BAM! Goes the blenny
I am researching in keeping seahorses. Do any of you all know of any of the LFS or people that are very knowledgeable on keeping seahorses..that you could recommend me to?
I have been reading on seahorse.org..but its always nice to talk to a live person as well.

Thanks lots

Misty

I have not joined the chat yet...I was just curoius if there are any one in WA I could drive too and observe them and talk to someone in person.

Thanks!

I would be very careful about listening to anyone who doesn't personally keep them at home. Even what a person thinks they know can become outdated info in a very short time as we are learning so much more about them all the time. The best places for info are www.seahorse.org and www.syngnathid.org If you post on seahorse.org you may find that there are keepers near you (although I can't think of any offhand).
A great way to keep track of what you learn is to start a looseleaf notebook with dividers for things like species info, nutrition info, equipment, tankmates, medications, breeding, etc (and also note down the source of the info). You're getting off to a great start by doing the research first!

ah ha! I see you are not too far from me! Perhaps later after some more research..I can come up there and see yours? :)
Yes I have started a notebook just on seahorses..I have a huge one for my salt tanks..now one for seahorses.

:)

We might be able to arrange that. Last time I was at Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood they had a couple there but they don't always have them. Blue Sierra often has them, but that would be a longer drive for you. Midway Pet also has them on occasion.

Just a note.

There is also some really great info at www.oceanrider.com. (Which is also seahorses.com- just click on the seahorses link.) I bought a pair of mustangs from them- the 'first time buyers' special, and love them so much that I ordered a second pair. They are friendly, healthy, beautiful, and very easy to keep. I have a mixed tank and they are a great addition to the community. They aren't as expensive as alot of others, and are great for a beginning seahorse keeper.

One of Reef Frontiers Sponsors, The Shark Reef, in Silverdale also has some Seahorses & Pipefish.

Other than seeing that they had a dedicated tank setup for them, I know nothing about them... so I'm not much help.

We carry captive raised ones in stock most of the time now. We feed them frozen Hikari Mysis shrimp and keep them in a low flow environment.

HTH,
Kevin

thanks guys!
Spokane Valley...Thats about..what 6hrs from me eh? :) May have to do road trip when I am ready too!

Hi Colleen,
Yes they do but only the Hakari brand, well I've only tried the San Fran Bay brand and they turned their noses up :)

Regards,
Kevin

kevinpo said:
Hi Colleen,
Yes they do but only the Hakari brand, well I've only tried the San Fran Bay brand and they turned their noses up :)

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin. Have you tried PE Mysis? (Piscine E..)

Best,
Ilham

My friend who works at saltwater city in bellevue says he still gets them in, and could order some no prob. They also get beautiful pipefish too.

Elmo18 said:
And.....the point is...?

Best,
Ilham

I've read in some literature that marine fish need to eat marine food. The fatty acids are different or something to that effect.

Todd Gardner has a research article somewhere with the info.

My adult c-horses only like the hikari brand as well.... but I sneak in a little spirolina enriched brine... they wont eat them alone... but mixed in with mysis they get a few. (I figure a little diversity in the diet may be benificial)

Also... it seems when my male is preggers he eats what he can... I have seen him take a little formula 1 while going for the shrimp.

I feed the tankmates first... so that they are a little more full when I feed the mysis so they leave lots for the horses.

I have only had sea horses for about 6 months or so. ...but they seem happy and healthy.

-Tank mates are
2 small Ocellaris Clowns
2 fire fish (not purple) -- They like to eat the sea horse fry... so they
will be moved soon
1 Cleaner shrimp (cleans the c-horses regularly)
6 Hermit Crabs
1 Snail

25g Tall
12 lbs live rock (no corals)
15 lbs live sand
2 tubes standard florecent
Wisper 40 (and once a week water changes until I get a skimmer for that tank)

Back