Where to find tiger tail cuke

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

I live in an area void of LFS's. Therefore, I buy online. I'm looking for a tiger tail cucumber (was recommended to me) as well as a fighting conch and serpant star fish. Anyone body know of an online vendor that sells at least two of those?

I found vividaquariums sells the cukes and stars, but not the fighting conches. Then i can find the fighting conches everywhere else but no TT cuke. Can anyone recommend a vendor that sells this stuff? TIA

cant help you:( . But why are you getting the cuke and what size is your tank? Do those ones release toxins?

good luck
-augustus

potentially yes. But these cukes are suppose to be of the easiest to care for and usually do very well in capitivity. I'm thinking about just going with vivid and getting the cuke and conch. It seems the main problem is getting the cuke since not many people carry the tiger tail.

I've seen these Atlantic Sea Cucumbers (Holothuria floridana) for sale on etropicals. They say they're easy to moderate to care for, but i don't know if they'd be a good candidate for my tank. I've only been recommneded the tiger tail.

cant help you:( . But why are you getting the cuke and what size is your tank? Do those ones release toxins?

good luck
-augustus

Last edited:
i unfortunately cannot endorse the addition of ANY echinoderms to a closed reef system, they are just too troublesome, all of them either eat something you want, or starve, or eat small fish, or release toxins, or puke, or have symbiant fish in their butt, the list goes on.
if your looking for sand sifters i would suggest a sand sifting goby, or a goby and pistol pair, or the large east coast nassarius snails.:)

My experience has been great with my cuke. None of the things that Mark has pointed out (though you can have these things happen). I've had mine in an SPS tank with high flow, large pump intakes, fish, corals, sand, no sand, you name it and it just keeps on sifting sand. Great animal. Got mine from reeftopia.com

Just make sure it's a boring color. The bright ones are the most toxic.

i still wouldnt take the chance, it is like having a crack in the tank and saying that it has been that way for years. there is always that one night that you least expect.

But, anyway you go, good luck to yah!
-augustus

I have had a tiger tail cuke for 2 years and gone through a few mini crashes, no issues from the cuke. Sea Apples on the other hand are very toxic, if they die.

I understand the concern everyone has about cukes. For the last 2 years, i've never even entertained the idea because people warn about it being so toxic if it feels threatened. But i'm wondering if the extreme caution with these animals isn't misguided with the less toxic cukes. Many people that have them are saying the less attractive species like the tiger tail pose very little danger.

On a side note, I found a wonderful selection of inverts at pacificeastaquaculture.com.

Back