Where to get a Water Tank for storing extra RO/DI water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

there is a place between puyallup and tacoma that sells them. they are plastic 55 gallon drums. he sells many kinds. you want to make sure you get the food grade one. you dont want a chemical grade. i do understand puyallup is aways from you. if you do want one. i can send you directions to the place. i cant remember the coast. i think they are like $18 each

go to ed's army supply on Hwy 99..they sell food grade 55 gallon drums for a great price.

They have a square brute storage container at Lowes. Its the same material as the 35 gallon brute cans, but its short and square. I use it for my top off container. added a sheet of 1/4 ply on top then a sheet and a lamp, and it looks like and end table sitting next to my tank. I think it is 30 gallons, but don't remember for sure.

I've use the big brute cans, they work well and are cheap, I had even purchased the coaster to go with it.

They have a square brute storage container at Lowes. Its the same material as the 35 gallon brute cans, but its short and square. I use it for my top off container. added a sheet of 1/4 ply on top then a sheet and a lamp, and it looks like and end table sitting next to my tank. I think it is 30 gallons, but don't remember for sure.

McLendon hardware has many styles with removable lids and drains built in. I used the 65g vertical cylinder and all my plumbing parts there....one stop shop. Plan on adding a float switch to manage the on/off of the RODI. Also add a recirculating pump (prevent stagnation)--that can double for mixing or pressurizing an output valve line tap to fill other containers as needed.

McLendon hardware has many styles with removable lids and drains built in. I used the 65g vertical cylinder and all my plumbing parts there....one stop shop. Plan on adding a float switch to manage the on/off of the RODI. Also add a recirculating pump (prevent stagnation)--that can double for mixing or pressurizing an output valve line tap to fill other containers as needed.

What are the dimensions of that 65 gallon container?

There is a guy up in North bend that sells the blue plastic barrels as well, search for rain barrels on Craigslist and you'll probably find him. I have a big 55g one that I'm probably going to cut in half since I can't seem to find a 20gal barrel so far.

This is one of many sizes available.
Vertical storage tanks are most frequently used for bulk storage and mobile nursing applications. Norwesco vertical tanks feature tie-down slots, built-in graduated gallon indicators, an offset fill-opening and a self-vented, slosh-proof lid.

Dimensions: 23"D x 43"H, 65 gallon capacity
Drain: 1.25"

IMG_1239.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it! I like the clear tanks, that way you can see the water level. I'll be doing some shopping this weekend. :)

Feed stores as well as the specific stores for growing veges and whatnot, my dad said they have 30 something gallonm food grade barrels for like $30-40. I bought a brute commercial grade 32 gal and the coaster and it works great. probably get a food grade for water storage and just use the brute can for water changes and mixing.... I have noticed slight tds creep after about a weeks time. I have 16 tds water from tap so its pretty good from the start but after a week ro/di bucket reads 5tds. not sure what the deal is.

Back