Where to get RO/DI water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaronfeeney

Being new, and not ready to purchase an RO/DI unit, Where would you go, and trust to purchase RO/DI water at a reasonable price? I know there is premixed packaged water at $11.95 for 4.4 gallons , but c'mon thats kinda high. The other problem doing this is transporting all that water , I don't think I have enough clean buckets to transport 50 gals.all at once. Could a guy rent a RO/DI unit for a weekend or something?

You could look for a drinking water store, that is what my boyfriend and I used until we got our own RODI. He even let us borrow a bunch of water jugs for the initial set up. Or you could try contacting one of the Local Fish Stores I'm sure they would be more that happy to help you out.

Mods: I hope that a post like this is OK, just trying to point a fellow reefer in the direction of some RODI water with choices that might be close to him. If not I'm sorry, still trying to figure out the rules and help a fellow reefer at the same time. :confused: If this post is not ok please delete.

I used to get mine at the local fish store... I have since purchased my own system... the local fish store is being set up with rentals for startup tank stuff... The setup I purchased is portable so when I travel to take care of tanks I just mix the water on site with my portable setup.

in Seattle and could be persuaded to hook up fellow refers! except you kevinpo! LOL

water

I get my water at Water 2 Go in Federal Way, it is RO and perhaps DI although no one seems sure. I am buying a RODI from Barrier on November 11th, they have the Watergeneral 100GPD on sale as a DOORBUSTER for only 149.99 seems like a great price.

Ichthys

We used the water machines outside local grocery stores up until recently. We had it checked by a fellow reefer and it had a very low TDS and seemed to work just fine. I would just suggest making sure it is a machine that has a digital read out of the last time the filters were changed and make sure it is 10 days or less. I believe some Albertsons and Fred Meyers down here have them. I don't remember the name on the machine but thy are big and blue, similar to a pop machine. The water cost 35 cent per gallon. We just bought a nice RODI unit though because going a getting water every week really got to be a pain quickly.

I went to a sportsmans warehouse where you can get hunting and camping gear. I bought 5 gal water containers there.

Thanks for all your input, I got water today from a local member, now I'll address an RO/DI unit for top offs and water changes. I'd hate to bug this guy regularly .

Save your pennies and buy yourself a RODI. Buy a 30 gallon Brute trashcan and a float switch kit to turn the RODI on and off so that the trashcan is always full. It's nice to know that I've always got 30 gallons of freshwater available for emergencies or performing regular maintenance.

Mike

deffently save your pennys right now.. dont go any further till you have your rodi

Also, no one mentioned this here, but you can buy filtered natural sea water from the seattle aquarium for 10 cents a gallon or so. You get 24 hour access. Seems really cheap considering all the salt and trace elements are already there and they run it through some crazy filters.

I've thought about using this, but so far it has been easier to just mix it myself and avoid the transport.

Back