Wheres the MG???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coralmex

Hello from Mexico......

Anthony... I have read and followed your book of coral propagtion with excellent results... However there is one topic that suprises me that is not mentioned.. Magnesium....

I have always tried to maintance "the standard" 1350....

What is your thoughts????????????? What levels have you maintaned?? Do you even check for MG????

I just wanted to Welcome you to RF !!!

Bienvenido paisano :) :D !!!
I hope he answers your question soon dood

Welcome to Reef Frontiers Coralmex!!!

I also try to keep my MG level about 1300, so will follow along with you on this thread.

Looking forward to reading more in the future from you Coralmex, and again, welcome aboard!!! :D

Thanks all for the warm welcome...

However in reviewing my thread I think I was not specific in what I wanted to ask.....

I have read... and you all have responded.. that the normal MG reading should be between 1250 and 1350...

However I have done some experimenting and have pushed my MG levels to 1470 - 1500 with some interesting results. My colors of my SPS's showed a large increase... But will these levels bring on long term problems??

My other parameters:
CA - 450
ALK - 9
Nit / Phos - 0
Tank size: 265
45 gal DSB / 55 gal sump / 50 gal frag tank...

How/with what are you maintaining the Mg levels? What salinity?
The main issue with high magnesium is usually bivalve/univalve mortality but not any where near these levels. You would usually need much higher.

Why the high calcium?

Steve...

I use the a magnesium media in my cal reactor... And dose 1/4 teaspoon of tropic marine mG powder 3 x per week...

I have noticed much faster growth in my monti's and acros at that level of CA.. I have a MRC calc reactor and a Nielsenn reactor.. As well as I dose 1 teaspoon of KAlk per night...

Salinity - 1.026

I have noticed much faster growth in my monti's and acros at that level of CA..
Monti's are brittle enough as it is. You gain little and risk much. This kind of "artificial" growth enhancement is rather stressful on species like this.
The stress imposed on coral health and weaker reedier coral stalks could/will eventually cause you problems in the long term. I would focus on slower, healthier, stronger coral growth. The fast growth may look impressive but it's not in the corals best interest. Besides, monti's grow rather quickly as it is.

Also look at it from a buyers standpoint if you farm your corals as they grow out. You will have much happier recipients and many more repeat buyers if your corals are stalkier and less inclined to RTN/bleach. Your chances of maintaining a long term healthy reef are much much higher the closer you stick to mother natures recipe.

Steve,

You make an excellent point... And one I should consider.......... Thanks...

welcome to RF my friend :)

FWIW... I keep my Mg only at about 3X my calcium (1200 ish) while focussing on maintaining a high Alkalinity (12 dKH) for IMO best calcification and tank husbandry (pH 8.3 minimum night-time low too)

Back