Which 20k 150W HQI

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pewpewlazerbeam

fish in cycler
Thinking of upgrading my stock HQI that came on my 29 Biocube to a 20k bulb.

Is there a particular brand to stay away from or are they all the same?

K?14K and more yellow than blue. I've had A LOT of people suggest I switch to the 14K Phoenix. Ushio is great, with 250W bulbs, but the 150W seem to really SUCK![/QUOTE]

I ran a Phoenix 14k before and loved the color. Was almost as blue as a 20k xm bulb I had one time ago. :)

No no i wasnt asking what k is, stupid cell phone. I was asking what you thought the best 150w was.

I want as high of contrast as possible.

Some lights I have seen highlight the differences in color between a coral. Ie make the orange parts more orange and the blues more blue.

Here's a really cool interactive site you can mess with changing different bulb brands and kelvin ratings on a particular tank where it allows you to compare 2 different bulbs side by side on a split screen. Also, it will give you their par ratings etc. These are 250w comparisons, but will still give you an idea. :)

http://chrismorris.ca/250wcolour/

I use Phoenix 14k as well, and the Elos display here in the shop also runs it. They're awesome bulbs, and bluer then most 20ks. There really is no "standard" amongst bulb producers, so even though they say its a 20k bulb, doesn't mean you actually get 20k light out of it. Its pretty stupid. The Phoenix "14k" is prolly the closest to a nice 20k as you'll find.

Here's a really cool interactive site you can mess with changing different bulb brands and kelvin ratings on a particular tank where it allows you to compare 2 different bulbs side by side on a split screen. Also, it will give you their par ratings etc. These are 250w comparisons, but will still give you an idea. :)

http://chrismorris.ca/250wcolour/

Damn Krish, that is an awesome site! Thanks for posting that.

The website is cool but it is 250W bulbs so very hard to compare. Like others have said the quality of the bulb change with the watts.

I think you should really take your time and understand what you are looking to get out of your bulb. Color, Growth, or both? Of course a 29 BioCube is not that big and you should do just fine, however if you read up on it you will see some people get too much par and it can bleech your corals.

How blue do you want your tank?

Do some research so you are happy with your choice, I know I took everyone else's advice when I bought my first set of bulbs and I regret it.

Back