Which 250MH bulb for PFO ballast?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

y2says

Ok...I'm starting over. I've been in this hobby since 2001 and after a few tank crashes, I almost gave it up. However, after the support from my wife, I decided to give it another try. So basically I'm starting over. Currently I have a few SPS frags, a couple of LPS and softies and 6 fishes. Here is my new issue:

I currently have a 400w PFO MH, but am about to downgrade to a 250w PFO ballast and need a recommedation on which bulb you prefer. I know lighting is subjective, but just trying to get some opinions. I am currently running a reeflux 10k with 2 actinic PCs with my 400w setup. I'm not really impressed with the coloration and my coral growth is OK. I'm thinking about going with something that will be more blue. The types of corals that I will be keeping will be a mix bag of softies to SPS and eventually clams. Oh yeah...I have a 72g corner with canopy.

I'd stick a Ushio 14K in there. I run two with two VHO tubes and really like the look. You could go all the way to 20K but since you're running a 10K bulb I'd just look at bumping the color up a bit. See what that looks like and if you want to you can go to 20K next time you change your bulbs.

Mike

Is the PFO ballast a HQI ballast?
If it is, I'd suggest a Radium bulb.
I use one on my zoanthid tank and really like the color.

I'll fourth the reeflux 12K. Great bulb! Radium would be my first choice, but for the price, you cant go wrong with reeflux.

People still run SE bulbs With hqi ballasts. Can you check to make sure yours is not HQI?

I decided to stay with my 400w PFO ballast (made in Vancouver, WA). Again, I have the reeflux 10k, but which bulb will give me the best coral growth? My tank has been up and running again for the past month or so I haven't really seen a lot of growth. I don't have a test kit so I wont' be able to tell you what the readings are.

Your tank has only been running a month, your adding sps, lps, softies, and fish.
I'd worry more about getting some test kits.

The tank has been running for years, but the tank crashed last July. It has been running since then with nothing in it. I have just recently added livestock to it since I almost got out of the hobby. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

i use to have 400w pfo on my cube and went through some bulbs i really liked the 12k reflux bulbs. but when i went to 250w the reflux looked to blue so i went with the xm 15k bulb and it had the same color ratio as the 400w reflux more whitish blue.

Back