Which Anemone for False Percs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I got an as yet unidentified anemone a month or so ago. It was sold to me as a long tentacle anemone. I'll try and post up some pics for ID. Anyway my false percula clowns are showing zero interest in them. Now I'm thinking of trying another type but want to make sure I pick one with a good chance of the clowns hosting it. Rose, RBTA, and Carpet are the three I keep hearing and I'm leaning towards a RBTA. Is this a good choice?

I don't know if they have any preference. It is more like do they know they have a need to host. I had a false clown before in my tank. Then I added a green bubble tip... The hosting never take place in months even I tried to feed the clown next to the anemone. He only wants to hang around the powerhead for some reason. I was telling my wife I am going to start putting picture of clowns hosting in anenome on the tank glass so he knows what "hosting" means.

Later on I picked up a clown that used to host in anenome. The new one immediately host in the anemone the minute it got into the tank (75 gal). Then I think the old false clown got educated and started to share the bubble tip in a few days.

Later on I picked up a small tomato clown.... A few arguments between the 2 types of clowns over the anenome and of course the bossy tomato clown win at the end... now the 2 false clowns start hosting in my gonipora.

You can give the BTA a try...may be you can stick a pic of clown hosting in anenome next to the glass tank to see if it works...:)

Ok since there haven't been many responses to this let me rephrase my question. If you currently have a false percula clown and it is hosting an anemone what kind of anemone is it and how long did it take your clown to host it?

Thanks

Matt

I've got a pair of Black Occellaris hosting in a Rose Bubble Tip. Hosting was immediate upon arrival into the tank. RBTA has been in the tank for a couple of years and in the past has also hosted a single Gold Striped Maroon and before that, it hosted another pair of Occellaris Clowns. Interestingly, the Gold Striped Maroon is now in my 75 gallon where it's hosting on a Frogspawn. This Frogspawn is the original host of the GSM from the person I bought it from a couple of years ago. I purchased the Frogspawn from someone else, who'd purchased it from him the day before I purchased the GSM...lol.

We have two false perculas that had never met an anemone and they hosted in a pink bubble tip in about three days.

I just started my new 8 gal. nano tank on friday. Its been two years since i had a salt water tank. I also went and got a long tentace anemone and two false clowns with it. At first they showed no interest in it. So what I did seeing that my clowns are hunger purds I put there food in the mouth of the anemone so that they would have to swim in to him to get it and now their hosting it. On a side note what is the best thing feed your anemone.:)

I just started my new 8 gal. nano tank on friday. Its been two years since i had a salt water tank. I also went and got a long tentace anemone and two false clowns with it. At first they showed no interest in it. So what I did seeing that my clowns are hunger purds I put there food in the mouth of the anemone so that they would have to swim in to him to get it and now their hosting it. On a side note what is the best thing feed your anemone.:)

That sounds like a good Idea i wonder if the other fish will know to stay away. What kind of food did you use for this?

My A. Ocellaris clowns "play" at hosting my pink pom pom xenia but every night they go back up in the corner of the tank where they have slept since the day I got them almost 2 years ago.

black and white on a rose bubble.... thats my dream. But the girlfriend wants a percula pair on a carpet

I have a pair of clowns in a long tentacle anemone, they are false percs (I think). However I bought them along with the anemone, so they were already hosting it. I bought the group after having no success getting a single clown I had bought to host my sebae anemone. Last fall I bought a pair of baby tomato clowns and put them in the tank with the sebae and they went straight to the anemone and haven't wandered more than a couple inches away since then. I don't think most clowns are as picky about what they host, rather it is a behavior that some know and some don't. When I was trying to get the first clown to host I had read that it might help to find a plastic 'nemo' and put in near the anemone in order to "teach" the clown to host. At the time I was unable to find a plastic clown but have since seen many.

I think with an RBTA and A. occellaris, you've got a very good chance. There are some tricks that will help, as mentioned above with the plastic clown. Another one that sounds pretty far fetched but really does work, is to find a pic of your species of clown hosting in your species of anemone, print it out and tape it to your tank, near the live anemone....lol. Sounds nuts but I've suggested it to many people, all with good results. I can't take credit for the idea though. Kevin suggested it to me as a "just in case."

I think with an RBTA and A. occellaris, you've got a very good chance. There are some tricks that will help, as mentioned above with the plastic clown. Another one that sounds pretty far fetched but really does work, is to find a pic of your species of clown hosting in your species of anemone, print it out and tape it to your tank, near the live anemone....lol. Sounds nuts but I've suggested it to many people, all with good results. I can't take credit for the idea though. Kevin suggested it to me as a "just in case."

Wow I gotta say that does sound far out but hey no one has to know what I tried in the privacy of my home....wait that kinda came out wrong:lol:

Back