Which controller to buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NWDiver

Swimming with the fishes
I could sure use some help from you experienced folk.
I'm a n00bie when it comes to warm water reef keeping, the tank was 6 months old when I got it, I have had it since December.
It all started with micro-bubbles...
I have a glass 120 (2x2x4) I bought used. It has two quiet one 4000 return pumps pushing ~1200 gph through my 50gal sump. If I don't use filter bags I get micro-bubbles pulled through the bubble trap. Easy right? Add a bubble tower and throttle back the return pumps, or just plain remove a pump. Sweet, except really the return is part of the tank flow (shouldn't be as I have since learned) he had it setup with the return water running through 4 nice adjustable submerged loc-lines that I can point to create decent flow. So that brings me to power heads. I have a K2 and maxijet 1200 in the tank and thought hmmm, perhaps I should get some new power heads. Ooooh, I know, closed loop! Nah, I will wait for the next tank, or at least until I need to rebuild for that. While looking at powerheads I got to reading/thinking that controlling said power heads would be better still. Which finally brings me to what controller to buy? Should I cry softly while buying a pair of tunze or Vtech power heads with controllers? It seems that I would get more "bang for the buck" with a nifty controller like a reefkeeper of Neptune so I could remove the light timers and have cool probes and stuff, while still making er... waves. I'm sure it would be even cooler to have both, but I do have to eat at least once and a while.
So I guess the final question is which is better with cost in mind, and my preference that smaller size is more important than noise, a pair of high end controlled power heads? Or get some cheaper heads and a complete controller?
Oh, I would like to keep a mixed tank probably light on the sps side.
Feel free to correct my misconceptions, and or, offer your advice.
If there is anyone in the Bellingham area that would like to (or at least be willing to) stop by and provide advise that would be fantastic.

-Todd

The Apex controller has built in Tunze control with it. No need to buy the seperate Tunze controller. Vortechs are also good powerheads. First I would start with getting the flow situation taken care of and then get a controller. IMO Tunze or Vortech is the way to go with flow.

If I were to ever buy another controller and planned to have powerheads, I would make sure it has wave maker capability. The neptune apex is that controller right now.

as I just bought a rkl3 not too long ago I wish I spent the extra money and got a rke but now I am looking at the Apex and possibly selling off my rkl system. I like the web functions as I will start traveling alot for work I can turn off and on what I need to while I am away on business.

i have two reefkeeper II's but i wish i had one what i could network like the elite model or aqua controller by neptune..... dont know if you have a iphone.. (maybe even other smart phones) but some controllers can be networked to a wireless house network.. then accesess thur an app over the phone...

I agree Sandswhitson, but I'm not sure which powerheads to go with, and I don't want to paint myself into a corner if I can avoid it.
Which Tunze powerheads are compatable with the Apex? all 120v?
I'm getting a strong vibe for the apex. Sounds good. I do indeed have an iPhone, the app looks nice.
It looks like the Vtech comes with wave controllers "built in"
I guess I was wondering if it was worth doing the low voltage power head thing like the Vtech, or just use less expensive 120v powerheads (like a pair of tunze 6045s) with the Apex to create a wave pattern?
It seems a bit... much to do both, at least for me.
Bottom line: Would a pair of 6045's on the Apex be a good solution for my tank, or am I missing the point somewhere?

The apex is also going to be working in vortech controls as well in the near future. It ihands down my choice...however I am obsessed with LED lighting at the moment.

IMO if you work your flow patterns correctly you do not need any controller for wave motions as you can reproduce those without a controller. I have done it with my aquariums and everything seems to grow like crazy.

But if it were me I'd go with the RK Elite. Built by a local company and support is great when you need it. If you have a problem that they cannot figure out you can take it to them in Woodnville and they'll fix it up or even update your equipment at no charge.

Can't say much as for the pumps as I have used Maxijets and Hydor Koralina's and that is it for now. I've heard good things about the Tunzes but horrible things about the Vortex. That is all hear say on those though.

The apex is also going to be working in vortech controls as well in the near future. It ihands down my choice...however I am obsessed with LED lighting at the moment.

So I need to get a new heater, and that led me to think that I should get a good temperature controller, which eventually led me to this thread. Now I'm debating throwing down the $500 bucks to get an apex. Seems like a good investment, and it seems like it will be able to handle anything I ever want to do with the system.

AQ Jr. Is a lot cheaper, but from what I'm reading, it seems I'd be better off just getting the full functionality upfront.

With the cortech controls, is that going to be added via a firmware update? Or should I wait until they put it in before I get the controller?

rob

I agree Sandswhitson, but I'm not sure which powerheads to go with, and I don't want to paint myself into a corner if I can avoid it.
Which Tunze powerheads are compatable with the Apex? all 120v?
I'm getting a strong vibe for the apex. Sounds good. I do indeed have an iPhone, the app looks nice.
It looks like the Vtech comes with wave controllers "built in"
I guess I was wondering if it was worth doing the low voltage power head thing like the Vtech, or just use less expensive 120v powerheads (like a pair of tunze 6045s) with the Apex to create a wave pattern?
It seems a bit... much to do both, at least for me.
Bottom line: Would a pair of 6045's on the Apex be a good solution for my tank, or am I missing the point somewhere?

You have to get Tunzes that are controllable. Some are not and the Apex will not work with them.

I was under the impression that those controllers would control any 120v powerhead... Like a "normal" wave maker, no?

Yea, I'm a bit confused now. Maybe they are talking about the ones that have variable flow rates? It appears it will turn any powerhead on or off, but I'm seeing some expensive powerheads that can go from like 300 gph to 3,000 gph, and maybe it has to be a special type for the controller to be able to control the rate the powerhead is operating at?

Would like some further explanation....

rob

Ah. I just called Neptune. The Apex will control any 120v powerhead on or off, and it has 4 variable speed ports for the Tunze (0-10v). They have a module releasing at the end of the month to suport the Vtech.

Ah. I just called Neptune. The Apex will control any 120v powerhead on or off, and it has 4 variable speed ports for the Tunze (0-10v). They have a module releasing at the end of the month to suport the Vtech.

Ah, ok. Sweet. So no reason to wait for the Vtech to come out then, because its going to be an addon?

It sure sounded that way to me, but here is the number if you want to speak to them directly:
(408) 578-3022

-Todd

Back