Which corals can you grow with VHO/T5 lighting.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I visited Fragman last week end. I was excited to see which corals he had grown with VHO lighting. I saw some acropora, pocilliapora, stylopora(cats paw). I saw a blue tipped tenius. They all looked very good and healthy. I was amazed on the corals he was growing with VHO.
My question is which hard corals have you had success growing with VHO or T5 lighting?

chk this out
not mine ,but Kool
ken
http://www.hausriff.ch/
ganz.jpg

:eek:
78cd0a88.jpg

Last edited:
hard corals have you had success growing

All off them My friend But then I supplement them with Halide :p

Ed Hahn said:
I visited Fragman last week end. I was excited to see which corals he had grown with VHO lighting. I saw some acropora, pocilliapora, stylopora(cats paw). I saw a blue tipped tenius. They all looked very good and healthy. I was amazed on the corals he was growing with VHO.
My question is which hard corals have you had success growing with VHO or T5 lighting?

I ran my tank for a year with vho, and I tell you what, it did look pretty good, but very pink.
269dec26_2003.jpg

i ran my tank for a year with 432w or 8 bulb of t5 I kept everything under the sun in there :)

-Josh-

Well Tom you seem like a guy who likes pink, so it fits bud.

And Ed, my LFS has a supplier that gives her acro frags and the guy has VHO's, i guess his are magic. I almost bought the frag to see if they work, but with my luck..... lol

Great thread thou, im interested, does anyone know if Ken's anemone thrive under VHO's? lol

one of our local reef club members has an SPS coral propagation set up and he uses VHO's.
He's keeping torts, milles, stylo's, pocilliporas, seritoporas, triclors, montis, you name it he grows it under VHO's.

Nick

I've read of peoples Turtoses turning brown under vho and others keeping pink and purple tales under vho each strain is unique as they are with halides it seems I know there is less growth with alot of corals I've kept under vho and alot more growth with halides :)

I can only find HO T5. so Im using 4X HO T5 & 2X PL(power compact)
Im just a newbie in sps.

I have had the luxury of having tanks with metal halides and other tanks like Ed pointed out with just VHOs. It is amazing how different certain SPS look in different lighting conditions. Those of you out there with VHO only set-ups shouldn't be afraid of trying SPS. In my experience 80% of the time SPS corals do fine. 20% of the time a coral may loose some intense coloration or simply change to a different color all together. A blue or yellow coral may go brown. However, I have a whole tank full of SPS corals that do BETTER under VHO. My Blue Tenuis that I got form Ed is brown under Halides and Super intense Blue under Standard URI VHOs (half Actinic and half 50/50). Other Blue Stags that I have need to be under Halides or they fade out.

Paul

Just VHOs

Thanks for Posting this Paul I have a little Nano tank with a Dual Satellite fixture with with Dual Actinic (420nm/460nm) and Dual Daylight (6,700K/10,000K) bulbs I am thinking about trying a frag or 2 under it to see how it will do..;)

Fragman said:
I have had the luxury of having tanks with metal halides and other tanks like Ed pointed out with just VHOs. It is amazing how different certain SPS look in different lighting conditions. Those of you out there with VHO only set-ups shouldn't be afraid of trying SPS. In my experience 80% of the time SPS corals do fine. 20% of the time a coral may loose some intense coloration or simply change to a different color all together. A blue or yellow coral may go brown. However, I have a whole tank full of SPS corals that do BETTER under VHO. My Blue Tenuis that I got form Ed is brown under Halides and Super intense Blue under Standard URI VHOs (half Actinic and half 50/50). Other Blue Stags that I have need to be under Halides or they fade out.

Paul

I've seen some very nice systems with VHO only. And I've kept just about everything I can think of under VHOs at one time or another. I really don't think you can beat the colors you get under VHOs for most corals. You don't get quite as much growth though, as you (usually) do with halides, and you don't have the flexibility the intense halides gives you.
I have a large propagation system running now with only VHOs, in which I keep a wide range of corals (including SPS) as well as anemones and clams.
This is just in my experience.

I am just speaking for myself but I think that there is a big difference between VHO/T5 (which I believe are capable) and PC's. I think that some people lump them all together because they are similar. A lot of people still go with the watt per gallon when we have a better judge of the capabilities of the lights (par).

Back