which is better??Oceanic bio -cube or Fission nano skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
Which would be the better of the two skimmers..They are both very inexpensive @34.99 on Pet solutions . com..Any Ideas??

Thanks...Shane n John

The bio-cube doesnt have many corals..Just a few mushrooms.A few fish and about 30 lbs of live rock...we were looking for a small skimmer that we dont have to do any mods to the cube...Something small to fit in chamber 2...we saw that oceanic was making a small skimmer so thats why we asked..Thanks..

Not to hijack your thread but I just picked up a 24g Aquapod today from someone on CL. Will those skimmers work for this to or would the rear chambers need to be modded?

i have yet to actually see the pci/octopus nano, i know it's a knockoff of the as of today unreleased euroreef nano, and it's supposed to be a great little skimmer for the price. just havent seen or tested it, so i hesitate to personally recommend.
do you have any specs on it rob? i notice the pci website doesnt post any...

These skimmers are 2' round, and 12' total, the actual size needed is around 3.5' x 4.5' roughly , there is a removable clip-on for hanging it inside the chamber. They sell for $89.99 with pump .

ROB - ARSA

Well I actually picked one of these up today, thanks Rob, if you have the patience to wait a little I'll let you know how it works.

My first impression is that it is a good design, extremely compact, it will fit in the first chamber of my 24g aquapod without any mods. On the downside its a bit "delicate" and does need to be handeled with care as I already chipped the lid when I dropped it like a dummy. If it performs good then i will be very happy with it for the price.

If its the skimmer cup that chiped , I will get you new lid.
Let me know what you think about it.

ROB - ARSA

Thanks Rob. It is the lid for the skimmer cup that is chipped and for the record It was my fault for dropping it. But If you can get me a new one I can't think of a better excuse to come back to your very nice store again. I have it up and running but it's on a newly set up cube with so far only sand in it so no bioload yet. Since I'll be using fully cycled rock from my other tanks I should be good to add livestock shortly and then I'll be able to get a good idea of how it works.

Back