Which Phosphate Remover Product is the best?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chinkie253

Which Phosphate Remover media (brand) is the best?

Hi,

I'm about to start a Phosphate reactor 150 but I would like to ask which phosphate remover product is the most recommended and easiest to use? Thank you for your time.

AN

Last edited:
GFO or Granular Ferric Oxide.

Aluminum products are much less effective, and may be toxic as well to some corals. (Leathers especially.)

rowaphos is good but spendy. two little fishes is good too. make sure that you follow the manufacturers instructions carefully.
i would use a small powerhead to feed the reactor. somewhere in the lines of a maxijet 400 or even smaller. when first starting up, run the effluent slow into a bucket until it runs clear then it will be okay to put the effluent back to the sump or tank.
you dont need alot of flow into the reactor, almost like a small tumble through the media.
try not to get the fines into the aquarium. there are adverse reactions if media gets on a sps coral.
watch for your alkalinity. there is a drop intially when starting these type of reactors.

Warner Marine Phosar Good Stuff!!

I have used a few GFO products. I also admit the Phosar from Warner Marine is hard to beat. It works really well if you do not let the bag get sucked into the pump and shoot it through your tank. The first time I set up my tank it was really clear until I did the above mentioned.

I have used a few GFO products. I also admit the Phosar from Warner Marine is hard to beat. It works really well if you do not let the bag get sucked into the pump and shoot it through your tank. The first time I set up my tank it was really clear until I did the above mentioned.

:lol:

Oh... sorry. Shouldn't laugh at others' misfortunes, but your description was pretty good!

Also, when using any of the GFOs, rinse them in RO/DI water very well if it says to in the instructions. Don't blow off that instruction or you'll end up with hazy brown water. But probably not as hazy as Ed's!

Thank you guys for your advice. As for right now I'll setup with a reactor with ROWAphos as the media for now. I'll give it a try first since alot of reefers are using it and did not have many problem with it...thx

AN

Thank you guys for your advice. As for right now I'll setup with a reactor with ROWAphos as the media for now. I'll give it a try first since alot of reefers are using it and did not have many problem with it...thx

AN

Only use about a 1/3 of the required media and work your way up to the full amount over a period of about a month.

Don

i agree with don. test your phosphates. when the media's exhuasted you'll notice in your phosphate tests and the color of the media turning dark brown. remember to go slowww..

i agree with don. test your phosphates. when the media's exhuasted you'll notice in your phosphate tests and the color of the media turning dark brown. remember to go slowww..

This method only works well if you have a colorimeter. By the time a hobby P test kit sees the P you will have much more than desired fueling algae. Id say if you start seeing p on a test kit then cut the change intervals in half.

Don

hey don, have you ever used an indicator in your tank, lets say a coral that tells you when you should change your phosphate?

hey don, have you ever used an indicator in your tank, lets say a coral that tells you when you should change your phosphate?

Not for P the time frame is too long. For example you notice a coral turning brown. The P took awhile to cause it, then it takes even longer to fix it. Were talking months so its easier to just change gfo before its completely exhausted or use a better testing method, either way works.

Don

So can anyone comment on either of these products:

Rowphos or Phosban

what are pros/cons of each product??

Back