Votes: 3 2.8%
  • NSW (Natural Sea Water)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Coral life

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • other

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
Should also add ESV B-Ionic Seawater System Salt Mix. Not sure if anyone is using it yet as I have not seen it available locally.

I've been using Oceanic for the past 7 years no problems. Been thinking about changing though.

Cheers,
Alex

but from 50 cents a gallon(just for the salt) compared to 5 cents a gallon(plus gas to drive and get).........anybody have a bad exp. with nsw

but from 50 cents a gallon(just for the salt) compared to 5 cents a gallon(plus gas to drive and get).........anybody have a bad exp. with nsw

It just seems like WAAAYYY too much of a hasle to haul it and then have to dose it to get the right levels and also have to worry abou t contaminates. I'd pay $100 a bucket and use my own RO/DI to get consistence.

I did a little googling for opinions...only found one so far on another forum (from back in 2007)...there was a complaint about consistency given the varying runoff into Elliott bay depending on the season.

I guess the other question is how much could you haul at once? With Mt Vernon being 60 miles away, I'd think the quanity would have a significant impact on the price per gallon...assuming you'd have $10-20 in gas charges, plus parking...don't forget, they hate cars in Seattle so eveyone pays for parking (if you can find it)! Then there's your time...that's worth something for sure.

btw, Tunze has worked out to more like .35/gal for me...and it comes right to my doorstep with free shipping.

I did a little googling for opinions...only found one so far on another forum (from back in 2007)...there was a complaint about consistency given the varying runoff into Elliott bay depending on the season.

I guess the other question is how much could you haul at once? With Mt Vernon being 60 miles away, I'd think the quanity would have a significant impact on the price per gallon...assuming you'd have $10-20 in gas charges, plus parking...don't forget, they hate cars in Seattle so eveyone pays for parking (if you can find it)! Then there's your time...that's worth something for sure.

btw, Tunze has worked out to more like .35/gal for me...and it comes right to my doorstep with free shipping.

Well, everything you are saying pretty much stands for my point as well...just not really worth it. However, at the aquarium it's free parking to load water and leave. Just don't stop to pee or it'll cost you :p

A big problem can be where you get your NSW from too. We've checked the salinty around here in the Bahamas a few years back and saw variations of about .03 depending on if you got water closer to land, if it was after it rained or if it was in deeper waters. You buy NSW from somewhere and you might have to still end up adding salt to it or trying to water it down some to get the salinty to the level you need it at. So much easier to mix IMO..:)

Tropic Marin Pro Reef in my tank for the past year and I've been really happy with it.

I've used IO, Reef Crystals, and Tunze in the past. I just killed my last three bags of Tunze and bucket of Instant Ocean filling my dads tank.

No love for Kent

Other
I use Kent Marine
The only reason I use it is because it is what the local pet center uses in there store tanks.

Why no love for Kent salt? I know a lot of reefers down in Portland use it! I use it and have had no issues with it.

Back