which skimmer????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

440sixpack

i am looking to get a new skimmer for my 54gal tank.. i have a 5gal sump and dont know which would be the better skimmer to get??

I have recently been turned on to the super skimmer brand skimmer. Two friends of mine have them on fish only tanks. I run a cpr back pack on my 55 gal reef. It works great as well. Im just thinking that with a tank as small as mine and yours spending bucco bucks on a skimmer is not needed. I have even read where running a skimmer only a couple days a week can increase coral growth. I havent tried it yet.

I have a super skimmer rated at 65g's just sittin in the garage....lol its a lill neadle wheel unit...i like them, just not big enough for my display.

what's your budget? (don't say "as cheap as possible" less you mean it)

<$50 =
good overhang for cheap look for a used backpak, if Mead, WA is in BFE, then you're SOL, but craigslist every morning. the smallest one's rated at 75gallon.

cheap insump skimmer, a berlin turbo airlift + old pump works very well, but you will be messing with it almost everyday.

My favorite skimmer for the money are Euroreefs. Keep an eye out for a RS5-2 or RS5-3. If you keep the air tube clean and clean your pump, they last for ever...

Back