Which substrate?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I'm setting up a new 175 gal reef tank. I plan on having gobies, starfish, hermit crabs and clams on the bottom. Corals will be softies, and maybe some stonies. I will have MH.

I want live sand, or is it ok to seed it? I will be adding 200 lbs LR and will cycle the tank.

Which of the substrate options would be the best for the bottom. I'm planning on 1-1/2 to 2". I don't know if I'll have sand in the sump or not.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_substrates_calcium_reactor_media_caribsea.asp?CartId=

Thanks
Doug

Welcome to RF Doug! Before I went bb, I had crushed corals and hated hit, then I switched to the Fiji Pink and loved the stuff. Very nice grain size. You can also use just "regular" sand and seed it. It is much cheaper that way, but I prefer personally to pay for live sand one time. Best of luck:)

if money is no problem. tampa bay saltwater sand is the greatest. taken from the gulf, its full of life inc, brittle stars and snails. $2 lb + airfreight

Bahamas or Fuji

I think I'll go with the CaribSea live Bahamain oolite 1-2mm.

Krish... wonder why you went with the Fuji when you live in the Bahamas?

Thank you everybody for your responses.

Reef Frontiers is the most active message board out there.

Best
Doug

I'll be sending pix and looking for advice while setting up my 172 gal Oceanic glass bowfront. Thanks again.

Back