Which tank to start with???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

OK folks...let the debate begin! My wife and I are trying to decide which of our tanks is best to convert from FW to salt. Here are the considerations: We eventually want it to be a reef...whether or not it starts out that way. Tank 1 is a 47g tall Marineland bought from Petsmart. Dimensions are 20" wide, 18"deep (front to back) and 31" tall. It has a full glass top, 18" full daylight (generic Eclipse) bulb. Filtration is AquaClear 110.

Tank 2 is a standard 55g topfin kit (48"W, 13"D, 20"T) with the addition of an extra topfin 60. lighting is the same as the tall tank 18" generic bulb.

Which tank lends itself to a better display of the reef...and what will the required lighting be for either?

Also what is a good "out of the box" skimmer...and is it possible to overskim a smaller tank? (I'd like to only buy 1 that could be used on a bigger tank like 125g eventually)

Sorry for the long post...and all help/advice is appreciated.:confused:

Well, longer & wider IMO is always better, more surface to air gas exchange can occur, which is a good thing. Lots of things to consider when jumping in to a marine tank, more, more so reef tanks. I would for sure go with the 55g, I'd check to see if you ever used copper in it, that has to be neutralized first hand. Then you need to consider, lighting like you said, skimmer, sump maybe? If you decide to go with a sump then you will need to figure out how to get water from top to bottom & back, that part search under the user name of "Krish75" he used that types of overflow & has good experience upfront, you want that rather take a chance of getting a wet floor:) & the skimmer part depends on if your going to use a sump or just hang on. You will need live rocks, good lighting! I would go around 75lbs of rock & either lighting like T5's HO with good reflectors or 2 150/175 Watt Metal Halides, because of the 13" depth you really don't need more than that but could go higher in lights, you will have to consider Heat as being an issue at this point, so more heat equals problems, you can use lots of small fans etc to help cooling. I would consider making or getting made a custom hood, make it tall enough to use these lights & still have access to the top of the tank, ditch the glass tops, not good in a reef tank, too much heat & not much gas exchange can occur with them.
Most importantly, before you jump the gun & go to the LFS & purchase a ton of stuff, be careful, save money & read first, this website has enough information to help you get a good start if you do your homework first, patients is very important remember that most of all.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I also would choose the 55 gallon, but some of my reasonings differ from Scooterman's. I would choose the 55 over the 47 Tall because 31" is really deep, and keeping higher light loving critters on the bottom would be more difficult with a tank that deep, compared to the 55 gallon's depth, without bumping up your lighting.

Welcome to RF again:) About which tank, I'd go with the 55gal. For one it has more water volume which means more stability and also, the height of the 55 is much better where lighting is concerned. With the 47 gal with a depth of 31 inches, you'll have to go with really high wattage metal halides if you wanted to support high light demanding corals like SPS's or clams on the bottom of the tank.

As for a skimmer, you can'treally overskim a tank IMO. You adjust it to suit your needs. The main question is are you going to use a sump in the meantime to house a skimmer? The reason why I ask is because you won't find a skimmer big enough to support a 125gal that can hang on the tank (atleast I've never seen one). HTH:)

Kudos to the wife...

she said the 55 would be better. My thinking was that the added depth of the 47 would make it easier to build and circulate the reef. Guess I was wrong! Probably will go with a hang-on skimmer. Reason being is that I don't have the experience yet to correctly plumb a sump...especially since this is an undrilled tank...and on the upper floor of the house. Flooding is simply NOT an option.

With regards to the copper...how do I test for that? We will be buying a "saltwater master test kit"...is that going to suffice or do we need something different?

For lighting...hope no one gets offended...but we really haven't "grown" to like the SPS corals yet. We like the softer stuff that moves with the water. Is that wierd? So I don't think halides are a must. LFS guy (also a reefer) says that another LFS owner sells T5's in a disposable hood really cheap. Does that sound hokey to anyone...or possible? So many more choices (lighting) for salt that it's difficult to choose one.

Thanks for everything...now and in the future.

Ditch the master test kit, don't like these. Saliflert makes a copper test kit, & you can get the others like Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph & ammonia to start with, Saliflert is more costly but accurate, well wort it. AquaMedic makes the turbo-floater 1000 multi for a hang on, I think there are a few others that also work well. T5's would be fine for starting out, more so because they are cheaper to start with. I didn't mention the 31" depth would be harder to keep clean & for lighting purposes as Nikki mentioned. If you looking for salt mix I would recommend using Instant Ocean, been around for years & the most part used by more reefers than any other salts made.

the 55! another light option would be 260 watt pc. i have a 55 softy tank with these lights and its more than enough for fowlr or soft corals

T5's for about the same price out performs the pc, also their life span is shorter, more heat, & you can't get a true actinic in a pc, I'd steer clear if your makes a new purchase.

For lighting...hope no one gets offended...but we really haven't "grown" to like the SPS corals yet. We like the softer stuff that moves with the water. Is that wierd?

I don't think that is weird at all.

One of the great parts of this hobby, whatever animals you decide to keep they are sure to be interesting and unique.

i agree on the t-5s and my bigger tanks are lit buy them. he's just starting sw and i named a lower cost option.i can get the pc for$200 online, thats 1/2 what my t-5s cost

(I'd like to only buy 1 that could be used on a bigger tank like 125g eventually)

If you plan on getting a larger tank to be used as a reef eventually, than my recommendation would be to save the money and work towards that effort rather than turn an existing smaller tank into a reef. IMO it's more cost effective and less headaches than trying to upgrade equipment on a 55 to a 125 gallon reef. Just something to think about...:D

MikeS

2 are better than one?

The purchase of the 125 is probably at least a year or so away. And we would want to keep the 55 going. Just lots to think about. We could just go out and buy an already completed one lock stock and barrell...but where's the fun and education in that?? Especially for our kids...who are into it also.

But again thanks for all the advice.

I would have to agree with MikeS. If you are certain that you want to get into salt, go ahead and get a larger tank to start with. Reefing is addicting and if you start small you will want to upgrade before you know it. I have been in the hobby for less than a year and I already upgraded from a 55 to a 225G.

Now, If you are content to only convert one of your tanks, definately go with the 55. 31 inches is a pain to get access to the bottom. lighting is difficult and it is just an overall PITA to have that depth unless you have really long arms.

Welcome to reefing and good luck.

Well a year you can learn & know what you want in a new tank so i say jump in & that will force you to learn & know what you like. Think is Mike is right it is not cost effective this way but this hobby isn't cost effective in the first place:D
If that is your plans then start off not so aggressive on your set-up & go cheap until you learn what you need but above all study before you put life into your tank, keep it simple until you do set-up with good equipment. Plan on using a QT also & try to keep things easier to keep & give a good chance to making it, that is all I could ever ask a new hobbyist, give a good home to your inhabitants, fish & corals alike!

For hang on skimmers, look into the "Aqua-C Remora" they are the best bang for your buck hang on skimmers out there. Get one as large as your pocket can fit.

On a separate note, im not sure how your relationship with your LFS is, but be very careful of what they try and sell you. Many local fish stores are either ignorant or intentionally deceitful, especially when it comes to reef stuff. If your enticed to buy something there, please post on here and get the unbiased opinions.

Beware of corallife lighting fixtures, my experience with them has been less then moderate.

Good luck with your new Reef! :eek2:

Much as I don't like the idea of a 31" tall reef tank, I really don't like the idea of a 13" front-to-back reef tank. Especially 48" long. Kind of like a long nano. Not much room for the corals to grow once you have rock in the tank.

IMO this hobby is expensive... period. If you do decide to go bigger later on half the things you buy now can be used on the bigger tank. The other half sell on this site ;) . I say jump in now and you'll figure out exactly what you want on your next tank as you go. I have a sumpless 55 g corner, and I really can't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon. Someday I'll upgrade but IMO there is simply to much that can be done in tank that size that it should keep you happy for a while. Just be patient and do your research, there is definitely a learning curve.

Welcome to RF MrPike! :)

As for the tank situation again how about this one...I started the year with a 90gal, switched to a 75gal, switched to a 38gal cube, and now a 24 gal Aquapod:D (LOL) What have I learned? A lot! What have I spent? Alot! :eek: But it was fun! I say, setup one of the tanks, get some water cycling, your rocks cured, some livestock etc and when you are ready for the big tank, you will have tons of knowledge, you would have aged water and a setup you can transfer over which means you won't be basically starting over and can possibly even turn that 55gal or whichever tank you use, into a sump! But you never know, you may end up like me and enjoy a smaller scaled tank!:)

Well now that I think about it, Krish has had so many tanks he would have experience in upgrading tanks!

Well now that I think about it, Krish has had so many tanks he would have experience in upgrading tanks!

ROFL!! Downgrading Scooty!:p IMO though, they say the bigger the tank, the more stable, but the smaller the tank, the easier to fix a problem because it is so easily influenced . That can be bad as well though because you drop a pint of oil in a nano and that's the end of the tank, you drop a pint of oil in a 500 gal and the system may laugh at it:p Benefits of both, but I like the idea now with the having a little one now to deal with that water changes take me less than 8 minutes when my 90 and 75gal took about 30;)

Back