Which test kit works the best

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ynotme4886

I currently have 2 test kits that I use. One is about 6 months old and the other is new and just out of the box. Problem is when I test for nitrates I get a different answer depending on which kit I use. So now I have a dilemma.

Which kit do I believe?
One kit is a Red Sea marine lab kit and the other is an API reef master kit.

Also

Which is the most accurate kit on the market today.

Thanks for the help

Ynot

Saliflert is probably one of the most common hobby test kits used, it is accurate enough, even though you can get better. IMO the two kits you have isn't very reliable.

Just got a couple Lamotte test kits since Sailfert has had some issues recently. NICE kits! I like the way you view the color chart with the Nitrate kit and the Alk kit is easy to use as well. They are a little pricey though.

I was using saliferts, but my Ca2+ is way off, my phos kit is off also. Ap has been giving some what accurate readings, but these kits that I have are rather old. So I bought a new Ap kit today on Ca2+ and I will get back with ya on the results. Some of these kits are rather pricey.

Ynot,

I would find a LFS that uses Salifert or Elos and ask them to test your nitrate level. Most LFS do not charge for testing water. This will give you a baseline and then determine if you want to spend the extra $$$ to get one of the test kits mentioned. These are the most reliable test kits are the market, IMHO. I would agree with Scotty that the test kits you are using are not very reliable.

Quite a few on our chem-forum on RC have used the API and found them to be quite accurate. The new Salifert's will all come with a ref solution. Currently Salifert is having reliability issues and we hope things get cleared up soon.The Elos are something to look into for sure. I had Jessie send them to ENC labs and they came back with flying colors for accuracy. Red Sea have often been shown to be not very accurate. And no it or not there are other test kit companies. i.e. Lovibond, HACH, Chemetrics, Taylor, Orbeco-Hellige, HF-Scientific and these compaines have been around for decades. And are the kind you often find in labs along with LaMotte and HACH. Lovibond kits are really something.

Lovibond/Tintometer
http://www.tintometer.com/start01.html

which are the same as Orbeco-Hellige

Last edited:
I've used many different kits over the years and the reality is that most kits are accurate enough for what we do as reef keepers. Given the range of effectiveness for most water parameters whether it be Salinity, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrate, Nitrite etc, etc. Unless of course a test kit is old and or defective. IMO the vast majority of poor test results are operator error...

I agree with that 100 % BUT others want better and more reliability. I'm that way :D My ORP and pH probes were $250 a pop :lol:

Boomer,

So to play devil's advocate here, so is the adgae, "you get what you pay for" hold true here. Increase cost of test kits = better accuracy and reliability ??

In most case yes that is true. However, any kit company that I know of has had bad batch reagents at sometime. It just that aquarium test kit companies have more of them and some/ many are not using NSW stds to test x parameter. For example, the Alk test procedure is not the same for FW as it is for SW. Do they know this ? Most kit are based on FW Alk end-points and miss about 10 % of the Alk. I will NEVER buy that a aquarium kit company has the time, money, quality control, or care etc., to make sure that each batch is with in proper range, par Salifert and Elos and look what has happen to Salifert lately. I have never seen this with HACH or LaMotte. It is just the reagent has gone bad from user error or the reagent is to old. That does not mean HACH or LaMotte has not had a bad batch reagent. It is just really rare. These kits and those I listed are EPA/APHA/AWWA/WPCF/DIN approved and have to meet stds. but those are FW stds also, so they have the same issue often.

Last edited:
I forgot, just look at the issue with the cheap Chinese refracts and how far off some of them have been, as much as 4 ppt and they should only be off 1.5 ppt. You go spend $150 -$250 for a Germany Kruss or Japanese ATAGO and they are never off, accept the known and expect 1.5 ppt for seawater, as they are set to table salt std, just like all the rest and not seawater. The $100 Vital Sine / VEE GEE is a much better refract by far than the ~ $50 ones. It is also Chinese but they have much better quality control.

IMO the vast majority of poor test results are operator error...

possibly, with the exception of recent overinflated alk readings given by several batches of Salifert test kits. These false readings caused major problems for a couple of people I know. I experienced it myself, with two different Salifert batches.

Jan,

..but are you still using Salifert or did you change to a different test kit for Alk??

No, I stopped using Salifert Alk test after that happened and I switched to LaMotte. I'm very happy with the quality and consistency of that kit.

Back