White "Fuzz" on Zoanthid Colony

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zissou

Hello,
I have heard about this white fungus elsewhere, but can't seem to find the info now. I received a new Zoo colony about a week ago via shipping and it never really seemed to come around. Today I noticed that it is getting this white fuzzy fungus on some of the polyps and they are not opening at all. I have several other Zoo colonys already in the tank that are doing great. They are under 1, 250W 10K MH in a 40 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump. So 3 questions I guess.

Is this Fungus caused by low flow in the area the coral is in?

Will this spread to other healthy Zoo colonies or does it jsut attack stressed or weakened ones?

What is the best solution to wipe it, not only on this coral but in the tank altogether if it is a threat to spread.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I dont think its a fungus it is where the zoos laid in the bag and were suffocated.I had a couple of pieces like that once and the white parts will die off or get ate.The rest of it will be ok.Also check it good for sundial snails.

If it is a fungus or a bacterial infection, it will spread and take over other zoanthids. I had moderate success with a dip using hydrogen peroxide.
Using a ratio of 10% hp and 90% tank water. Leaving the zoanthids in this mixture for 3-4 minutes.
rinse well and make sure the zoanthids are in a area with good flow.

Last edited:
Could also be an encrusting sponge which is common with zoo's in general.

If any become black/shrink/necrotic, I would suggest fragging. Sometimes it's the only way to save some. You will need to ensure only healthy polyps are saved (sacrifice some healthy for good results) and place it in a seperate frag tank, toss the infected so it does not happen/spread to any other colonies.

Any pics available?

Never tried/heard of the HP thing :confused:

Cheers
Steve

You know I completely spaced over the sponge. You are right, there is alot of zoanthids growing with sponge underneath.

I first heard about the hp dip a couple years ago when the pink zoanthids were coming into popularity.
They seemed to be the worse for the white fungus. I read about it on rc and talked to a couple members there and did end up with a fungus and used the hp dip and it worked. I also would do this dip for any of the pink ones that I got shipped to me and never had a problem with it again.
There is also the lugols dip, which seems to have pretty good success.

Hi,
I like to first wait and see what the moderator says... but here I go anyways.

The thing I notice first off is that you have a 250 watt MH light on a fairly small tank. That's a lot for a newly shipped specimen, so I hope you put it in a shady area off to the side.
It would have been better if you had acclimated it in a separate quarantine tank to see if problems like this were present as some can be contagious-there could be infections, snails that eat zoas, nudibranchs you can barely see that will spread to your other colonies which can also arrive as eggs, and dead zoas are pretty toxic... and it's possible that a new problem will arise noone has heard of before. Seems like we get a new one every other year that devastates tanks. If you have the ability I would move it to a separate tank immediately after taking a few steps.
Set up a strong light on a desk protected by a layer of newspaper with white paper towel over it to make visibility better... Use gloves as some zoas are very toxic and it's hard to know which are which. If you are worried protect the desk further with a hefty steelsack or something disposable. A magnifying glass is helpful, and a freshwater dip should be on hand with a timer. The dip will be matched in temp and ph to your main tank, as will the quarantine tank. Other tools I like are bamboo skewers and a boars bristle paintbrush about 1 cm wide tops, new and stiff but not as harsh as a toothbrush. A container of tank water and turkey baster are also useful for rinsing loose stuff off.
Examine the zoas carefully, they can be out of water for a while so don't worry... Take a bamboo skewer or other thin but not too sharp tool to lift any loose zoas. You are looking for eggs of nudibranchs, actual nudis, snails and sponge. The sponge usually dies in shipping and rots, looking and smelling aweful. Actually a sniff test is really quite helpful :) Remove anything loose and rinse it off into the tank water for later examination. Nudi eggs look like little white spirals, I think... someone want to help on this? I have never seen them. Reef spiders are a pain, they eat holes in the zoas and are very hard to see/remove. They looked like a hair wrapped around the base, they are that thin. Anything at all that is not zoanthids pry it off with the skewer. If necessary you may have to break the rock up, sometimes there are other coral on it that you want to save but they are stinging your zoas. I had a brain coral on the bottom of my orange zo's and had to chisel it off because it was stinging them to death at night.
Next I do a 3 minute dip in freshwater and use a boars bristle paintbrush to scrub them off while they are in the water, getting between the polyps and in crevises wherever possible to remove everything loose. After the timer goes off swirl and put in the quarantine tank. Hopefully this will do the trick.
What else... There are various dip formulas out there but right now I think we need to know more about your situation. Like does it stink? Then it's probably just rotting sponge. Was it put right under the halide? Likely light shock is burning the zoas and weakening them. Did you find any predators on it? Or maybe one side of the colony got smashed in shipping and the zoas are damaged. I don't know what you do for that.
One time I dipped in chlorhexidine and got excellent results but I don't remember the dosage. Perhaps our moderator knows of this? It's antibacterial, usually used in mouthwash, or for surgical scrubbing. Livestock people may use it in animals' drinking water to keep it sanitary, but you are not supposed to drink it. There is an old school dip of potassium permanganate but I don't know much about that, my friend uses it and then neutralizes with hydrogen peroxide. Stuff is toxic as hell and highly staining. Does kill anything in the water though, and Kent still sells it in a couple forms. Anyone ever use that for zoanthid problems?
Kate

Is this Fungus caused by low flow in the area the coral is in?

... not caused by it, but can be mitigated by it.

Will this spread to other healthy Zoo colonies or does it jsut attack stressed or weakened ones?

... easily and likely as we see in other group-specific pathogens (brown jelly on Euphylliids, Xeniids, etc)

What is the best solution to wipe it, not only on this coral but in the tank altogether if it is a threat to spread.

... strict understanding and employ of a quarantine tank and protocol (do keyword searches for more info, plus see the articles and discussions on it in my list of "Fav links..." stickied atop this forum)

kindly, Anthony

Thanks

Thank you to everyone for sharing your info and ideas.

As a follow up to some of the questions people had. All new Zoos I get go to the deepest areas of the tank, normally along the sides and corners to avoid the high light till they are adjusted.

I do beleive this started as shipping damage to 1 part of the colony that got crushed or sufficated. That area then appeared to be attacked by the "white fuzz". It could just be the natural decay of the area. By where the coral is placed I could see lower flow being an issue though.

Yesterday I pulled the piece out and "blasted" off everything with a spare powerhead. The white fuzz did come off easily. This did seem to help the remaining healthy polyps on the colony. I have moved the piece to an even lower/no direct light area with much higher flow.

I have not noticed any odd smells, so i think the sponge theory is out on this one.

My next step will be to try the freshwater dip and trimming off the effected part of the colony. I also made a 2 frags of what appear to be healty polyps and they are good thus far.

At this point I'm more inclinced to move some of my rarer uneffected colonies to quarantine instead of this piece, but maybe my thinking is backwards. I would rather take a wait and see stance with what happens in this tank with other healthy colonies. Maybe I quarantine both in separte systems. I should also note this is a growout tank for new frags and new additions so this is not my main display tank this is occuring in.

Last edited:
Electrokate said:
Hi,
I like to first wait and see what the moderator says... but here I go anyways.

The thing I notice first off is that you have a 250 watt MH light on a fairly small tank. That's a lot for a newly shipped specimen, so I hope you put it in a shady area off to the side.
It would have been better if you had acclimated it in a separate quarantine tank to see if problems like this were present as some can be contagious-there could be infections, snails that eat zoas, nudibranchs you can barely see that will spread to your other colonies which can also arrive as eggs, and dead zoas are pretty toxic... and it's possible that a new problem will arise noone has heard of before. Seems like we get a new one every other year that devastates tanks. If you have the ability I would move it to a separate tank immediately after taking a few steps.
Set up a strong light on a desk protected by a layer of newspaper with white paper towel over it to make visibility better... Use gloves as some zoas are very toxic and it's hard to know which are which. If you are worried protect the desk further with a hefty steelsack or something disposable. A magnifying glass is helpful, and a freshwater dip should be on hand with a timer. The dip will be matched in temp and ph to your main tank, as will the quarantine tank. Other tools I like are bamboo skewers and a boars bristle paintbrush about 1 cm wide tops, new and stiff but not as harsh as a toothbrush. A container of tank water and turkey baster are also useful for rinsing loose stuff off.
Examine the zoas carefully, they can be out of water for a while so don't worry... Take a bamboo skewer or other thin but not too sharp tool to lift any loose zoas. You are looking for eggs of nudibranchs, actual nudis, snails and sponge. The sponge usually dies in shipping and rots, looking and smelling aweful. Actually a sniff test is really quite helpful :) Remove anything loose and rinse it off into the tank water for later examination. Nudi eggs look like little white spirals, I think... someone want to help on this? I have never seen them. Reef spiders are a pain, they eat holes in the zoas and are very hard to see/remove. They looked like a hair wrapped around the base, they are that thin. Anything at all that is not zoanthids pry it off with the skewer. If necessary you may have to break the rock up, sometimes there are other coral on it that you want to save but they are stinging your zoas. I had a brain coral on the bottom of my orange zo's and had to chisel it off because it was stinging them to death at night.
Next I do a 3 minute dip in freshwater and use a boars bristle paintbrush to scrub them off while they are in the water, getting between the polyps and in crevises wherever possible to remove everything loose. After the timer goes off swirl and put in the quarantine tank. Hopefully this will do the trick.
What else... There are various dip formulas out there but right now I think we need to know more about your situation. Like does it stink? Then it's probably just rotting sponge. Was it put right under the halide? Likely light shock is burning the zoas and weakening them. Did you find any predators on it? Or maybe one side of the colony got smashed in shipping and the zoas are damaged. I don't know what you do for that.
One time I dipped in chlorhexidine and got excellent results but I don't remember the dosage. Perhaps our moderator knows of this? It's antibacterial, usually used in mouthwash, or for surgical scrubbing. Livestock people may use it in animals' drinking water to keep it sanitary, but you are not supposed to drink it. There is an old school dip of potassium permanganate but I don't know much about that, my friend uses it and then neutralizes with hydrogen peroxide. Stuff is toxic as hell and highly staining. Does kill anything in the water though, and Kent still sells it in a couple forms. Anyone ever use that for zoanthid problems?
Kate
ElectroKate...... you are one of the many at RF who make this agreat site ..............Gggggggggge thanks , as of this moment i'm going thru all my sps bleaching and its my first at growing sps , so when i get on the pc i allways turn to Rf ...........my zoas are growing at a moderate rate ........ seem happy ... yet whenever i see any thing on zoas my eyes perk-up.... thanks for all your imput n care , cw

Aw shucks :) I just know what it feels like to loose a lot of stuff and I did do that huge bunch of work after my zoas all started dying, they are back and growing. Even got their colors back. But sometimes I need to be better about dips and quarantine myself. I lost all my acros a bit ago, have a small tank with some pocillopora frags after friends gave me some and they seem ok. I don't think I will keep acros again unless I have all the equipment-calcium reactor, proper lighting, huge sump, quarantine.
I found a new pest on my zoas so maybe I don't even need to do all that. It's a regular looking asterina type starfish except it usually looks whole and it is moss green. Keep finding them on the colonies when the lights come on. Under them is either a spot where a zoa used to be or a very mushy dead one. Grrr.
Thanks,
Kate

Hello,
I wanted to post a followup on my progress. After cutting off all parts of the colony that seemed infected and putting it in a very high flow area the remaining polyps seemed to have recovered nicely. All other colonies are still doing great at this point. I never did dip the coral at all. So i can't comment on the effectiveness of that method. knock on wood but everything seems to be good for now. If things remain good I learned a valuable lesson without a high price.

Back