White spot on the Coral Beauty?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yankit3@hotmail

Copepod
The fish has been in the Q-tank since 7th March. Thought everything would be fine after 14 days. Unfortunately, I'd noticed some tiny white spots on its head yesterday morning. They were so tiny that I took them for air bubbles.
Returned from work this afternoon and the bubbles seemed to have spread to the front part of the body. But watched it for quite a while that the fish was swimming actively and went straight for food swiftly. Should I wait for a couple of days to see if they ARE ICH since I'm scared in giving medicine to the fish because I'd killed a juvenil Blue O that I thought it was having a skin trouble, with that terrible Michilit Blue (the label said it could cure any kind of diseases). May I have your expert rcommendations as to:
(a) Shall I apply medication now? and
(b) What kind of medicine should I apply, please tell me those available at the LFS.

Thanks you guys in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Jimmy WONG
from Hong Kong.

(Please pardon me for my poor English)

Hi Jimmy,

It sounds like it could very likely be Ich. The good news is that you have the fish in quarantine, which will give you many more options for treatment. One option to consider, after determining that it does have Ich, is hyposalinity. This is done by slowly lowering the SG (specific gravity; i.e. saltiness) of the quarantine tank to a low level whereby the Ich will die but the fish will live. I'll look for a link that gives more details on the exact process.

Good Luck,
Jh

還有:不用擔心您的英文不好,因為我可以保證我們的廣東話沒有你的英文好!

Last edited:
Jimmy - John Henry is correct, and posted a good link. Hyposalinity would be a good option for you to treat the fish. Here is another thread: How to start Hyposalinity. Be sure to monitor your salinity and pH throughout the treatment.

Let us know how it goes!

Dear John & Nikki,

Never come accross ICH before. I've made 30% water change this morning before going for work. Measured the SG at 1.018 compared with the previous readings at 1.022 (if I was not wrong). I'm afraid that the sick fish couldn't adjust to the sudden change of SG. But could I achieve the goal by gradual lowering? Will make another 30% water change this evening + adding few drops of "Blue Medicine" that I had used on a clown fish that had a rotten mouth in late 2004. This buddy is still having his good time in my 100g (God Blessed).
BTW if I lower the SG will the PH go down as well, and so I've to add some PH buffer then? Awaiting your replies, please.

Best wishes,

Jimmy

The fish can tolerate lowering SG faster than you might think. When raising the SG after treatment, you will need to go slow. Here is a quote:

steve-s said:
You don't need to go as slow as you might think. The salinity can be dropped fairly rapidly. Change about 20% of the QT water every 4 hours using buffered RO water until down to 14 ppt.

Cheers
Steve

Also, regarding the pH

steve-s said:
Add an appropriate amount of marine buffer, I like Kent spuerbuffer DKH but whatever you have will most likely due. Don't use baking soda though.

Add the appropriate amount based on the water volume to get the alk upwards of 3 mEq/l and the pH in the 8.3-8.5 range. Test both to be sure your additions are accurate. Make sure you do this a day ahead so the chem will be stable and test the pH only after several hours have passed after adding the buffer. Initially the pH will spike and you'll get a false reading. Let it mix/settle down and then test.

Cheers
Steve

From this thread: What is the best way to treat a sick blue tang?

yankit3@hotmail said:
adding few drops of "Blue Medicine" that I had used on a clown fish that had a rotten mouth in late 2004.
That wouldn't happen to be Methylene blue would it?

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to tell you guys that the fish couldn't make it, it passed away last night after struggling for 2 days. Just couldn't figure out where and when things went wrong. From what I recalled: he was carefully acclimated when arrived. Stared eating after 2 days, no signs of diseases until my last post (white spots). I think I've to stop adding fish for the coming summer since it's terribly hot (max temp: 33C) in Hong Kong until it's cooler, say in OCT-NOV. Anyway, thanks for the valuable advices that you guys have given me.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

So sorry to hear about the fish Jimmy. I wish the outcome was much different. Hang in there!

Back