White thing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dustin1

I was watching my clown fish yesterday and i noticed a white little lump that is on his first white stripe closest to his head.
It looks like a bug or something. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Brian/My%20Documents/Picasa%20HTML%20Exports/Fish/target0.html

It is on the first white stripe closest to the eye in front of the fin.

Last edited:
I really hope I'm wrong, but that sure looks like it could be brooklyenella. I've never had to deal with it before, but it's worth looking into.

Very important to do something quick if its brooklyenella as sherman mentioned. That stuff will wipe out clowns in a couple days.

Can you tell if its cotton like? Or more like a swollen pimple?

i read everything i could find and i found that in some cases that it turns the whole part of the clown whit but this is the only spot

Does not look like brook.

If it is more cotton ball like, it is most like Lymphocystis (white cotton disease). It is caused by virus and does not have any direct cure. It is usually caused by environmental stress (aggression, new environment, malnutrition). Focus on giving the fish better environment and keep on a good diet, it will go away on its own.

It is rarely fatal.

yes, it can be gone that fast. In fact, you can manually remove it but unless you using the proper cleaning, the wound might be subject to bacterial infection, so it's best to let it go on its own.

Back