White tiny critters on glass Help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Quigley

We have these tiny white pests on our tank glass (they look like a white fly infestation), can anyone help with a name, so I can look them up. They are way to small for a picture. I tryed! They do have the multi leg look of a bristle star. They are not on the fish.
Thanks so much, Deanne

Attachments

• small tank 007 (Small).JPG
    small tank 007 (Small).JPG
    84 KB
Let me try and find an old thread of mine with a picture and ID I was given for something that sounds similar to what you have. Give me a few. :)

Last edited:
Your discription is right on, but the bodies don't seem to be as large. I got our smaller camera and tried again. Do you think they are somethings that would need to be sucked out or will they starve out?
The second picture is of the inside of the glass.

Attachments

• small tank 013.jpg
    small tank 013.jpg
    44.7 KB
  • small tank 015.jpg
    small tank 015.jpg
    38.8 KB
Man they are small!! :shock:. Hard to tell if it is the same thing. Hopefully we will get more people chiming in here on it. :)

I believe these are pods of some type. These are good to have and wouldn't worry.

I suspect they're either tiny jellies or pods. If they sit in one place &"pulse" - expand & contract - they're jellies. If they skitter around they're pods - small crustaceans which are primarily micro-grazers & predators on other tiny organisms.

Take a look at the first photo on the left, first row under Hydroids & at the Cladonema pic on Chuck's Addiction (an excellent source for ID photos) Indo Pacific Hitch Hikers

And here for a variety of pods Indo Pacific Hitch Hikers

I have also had something different but similar. It was baby barnacles in my case. Fyi. Does it feels like the have a shell or a hard body at all? or like a peice of sand inside the tissue? They ended up dying.

So what size tank? What is in the tank? What are you feeding the tank? How often are you feeding the tank? :)

Those are definitely Hydroids. They come and go in some tanks. Including mine.

Is this what they look like up close?
Hydroid.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help. I got Randy to take some pictures for me and he did a better job and it looks like they match this picture of Hydroids.
To answer the question about the size of tank etc. It's a 45 gal cube, it's just running to get some rock cureing for when we get the big tank back up. There are two Clowns in there and some frags. We wanted to use the water in the set up of the elos, but I didn't want to spred a problem, but it sounds like we should be ok,
deanne

Attachments

• MisteryCritters.jpg
    MisteryCritters.jpg
    13.7 KB
Those are usually result in to much food in the tank. I have had problems in some of my Seahorse setups trying to get them to eat prepared foods. If you cut back on the food source they will usually deplete them selves out of food. They are kind of like a floating aptasia and can sting things they land on. Fish, corals and such, can be quite nasty with high populations.

Back