White tips on SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mwebber28

I changed my 2 250w MH approx 3 weeks ago. I started them off at 4 hours a day then made my way up to 6 hours last week. I did however forget to put some screens down to reduce the light. I woke up yesterday and saw some white tips on my acro, birdsnest and a tort. Seen in the pictures.

I would assume this is just a bleaching from too much intensity from thr new bulbs... However, this did not appear untill 2 days after I changed out my phosban in my reactor. My water parameters were and still are fine with the exception of my phos which was around .5ppm and now is near zero.

So does this look like a light issue or a too rapid of a reduction in phos from the water?

I would figure my bulbs are broken in by now as they have been running for 100+hours prior to any problems. To make sure though I have cut the lights back to 5 hours and placed 4 layers of screen down. I plan to remove a layer every 2 days.

I shut off my reactor and plan to restart it when I get home(at work now) but will put it on a timmer and limit it to 8 hours for another week and increase it by 4 hours every couple days untill its at 24/7.

Any thoughts? advice?

Could be from the phos ban reactor. A few years ago a friend fought this syndrome of SPS tip death for over a year. We never did figure out the cause. I'd recommend choking back the reactor and do more than your usual WC's over the next couple weeks. Good luck.

I agree that it looks like new growth probably do to new bulbs there's a explosion of new growth I wouldn't stress out unless it is spreading down the branches but if it just stays on the tips your safe

Thanks for they input guys. I'm not convinced its growth though. I starting to lean more towards light burn. I'm just gonna keep trying to slowly re-acclimate them and if it gets worse I'll just frag some limbs and hope they recover.

Thanks again.

Did you change the brand or kelvin rating on your bulbs? Or are they the same bulb color and brand you have always used?

I like it when I see white tips on my corals after I change my bulbs cause it tells me I finally have new growth again. It also tells me that I probably waited too long to change lights if growth looks foreign to me.

Back