Who believes in ozone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skidclan4

A local store here in Boise Id. began using ozone in the tanks. Before he added ozone the tanks looked dark and average in clarity. Now that he is using it 1-2hrs a day the tanks look fantastic. Enough that I am contemplating buying a unit to keep the water crystal clear. I figure it will allow better light penetration and a healthier tank. I have read the threads on another forum and the opinion was mixed. Most of the SPS users loved using them, however there were a group that felt it could be harmful or dangerous. Anyone using ozone currently? Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I would love to use ozone but I haven't chosen to afford it yet. (I just got married.) It can do great things. There are a series of articles on orp and such things at www.reefcentral.com's magazine. You should check them out. I think it could be a great addition to a reef aquarium if used at the proper stage of a tank's life cycle.

I am a little concerned about long term reliability of the devices. I have heard of them braking down. Do your research on that. This may have just been a limited incident but they must have some kind of life expectancy.

I use it and would not run a tank without it. I'm sure it can be unsafe. Alot of folks are concerned with their own heath risks and risks to the tank. Just like anything else if not set-up properly your going to have problems. Trying to be cheap is usually where people run into problems.

Don

Ozone can be a very useful tool when used properly. You can have a very successful clear tank without it also. Most of the cheaper hobby type units do not last long and are rated for small tanks.
Here are a few keys to using ozone successfully.

1) Supply dry air to the unit (it will increase the capacity and life).
2) Use carbon on the outflow water to minimize the escape of excess ozone.
3) Be sure to size the unit for your application.
4) Use an ORP sensor that controlls the unit.
5) Keep the ORP probe clean.
6) If you smell ozone (it's easy to detect) find out why.

That's all I can think of now but if some others can add something please do.

Regards,
Kevin

How many hours per day do you typically run it? I have heard it is possible to strip out many positive things from the tank and making it to clean; is that true? I have also heard that you can bleach out corals because the light penetration increases 2-3x. Thanks for all the advice and insight, its nice to have this wealth of knowledge and experience available.

I set the ORP controller to shut off the ozone at 350. That way it only runs as needed. I know people that run the ORP higher (400-450) but I like to be safe (OK maybe I'm a little chicken :D ).

It is best to slowly bring the ORP up over the course of a week or two depending on how low it is to start with. For example if when you first hook up the unit and it reads 80 then I would wait a couple of weeks to bring it to 350. If it's at 300 then a day or two would be fine.

Note: You can keep the ORP probe clean by soaking the tip in a cup of vinegar for an hour once every two weeks.

Regards,
Kevin

Your tank will look amazing if you decide to use Ozone. For those with a limited budget *don't we all?* The enaly units are VERY affordable and reliable. Check Ebay.

I would add another plug for the enaly units off of ebay. I have used one for over a year and a half. It was cheap, and from what I hear, quite reliable compared to some of the hobby units.

Back