Who here has electrocuted themselves with a tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That depends on your definition of electrocuted.

If its a full blown OMG jolt, Then NO

If its a slight stinging tingle in a cut when messing with some make up water. Then YES

yeah never electrocuted (or obviously I wouldn't be writing this) but shocked for sure.

Obviously i mean electrocuted in a not TOO literal sense of the word. Today i was cleaning my freshwater tank of some dead plants. Knocked one of the light fixtures into the tank. When i pulled it out it shocked the **** out of me. While my girlfriend looked over from the kitchen and said " BE CAREFUL" lol

Obviously i mean electrocuted in a not TOO literal sense of the word. Today i was cleaning my freshwater tank of some dead plants. Knocked one of the light fixtures into the tank. When i pulled it out it shocked the **** out of me. While my girlfriend looked over from the kitchen and said " BE CAREFUL" lol

sorry but thats funny girl friend said be carefull lol sorry I just pictured hair raising and bolts coming from your head.

LOL!!!

I wasnt meaning OMG as in heart attack shock. Just a good heart felt buzz.
Just yesterday I was wiring new construction outlet up with a hot breaker and much to my suprise my cordless drill bit me with electricity. The power went trough the tip into some pot metal in the housing. It's never done that in the ten years I've owned it. Of course, I had to do it over again to make sure getting electrocuted wasnt my imagination. It hurt just as bad the second time.

Ya, dropping a lamp into a fish tank is always bad, FW or SW. Very bad.

I have a 45 gallon garbage can with lid I use for RODI water storage.
It has the float valve for the RODI shut off.. This is also where I mix my salt for water changes..
I use a power bar supposed to have 35,000$ replacement guarantee. if anything gets dammaged running off the power bar.
Well the garbage can is 18" off the floor(the bottom) and me being vertically challenged, I have to stand on a chair or a bucket to reach a ways into the garbage can.
So I was mixing Salt in the container and had two small heaters and a power head in there. they were pluged into the power bar.. Well I was standing on the bucket and my dumb ass had wet hands and reached down to unplug one of the heaters and got such a shock it knocked my off the bucket I was standing on to the floor.
So needless to say I got zapped, and the power bar never switched off. it actually sat there and sizzled a few minutes ...

I get occassional shocks in the reef tank and have checked everything out but could not find the cause. It's usually a mild shock which I notice only if I have a cut on my finger like someone else mentioned. Usually if I wear my rubber sandals though I don't feel anything.

You know everyone, we (hobbyists) are all just a little crazy for pumping gallons of water near high voltage lights and equpiment.:lol:

Been zapped more times than I care to count. Used to work w/ some pretty high voltage when I could work, so I usually don't notice much less than a good 240 jolt..

I got my start in the industry as a welder in a shipyard... nothing better than welding in 6" of salt water in a metal hull.

I was messing with my pump in my freshwater tank, sticking my fingers in it messing with stuff...and I guess I hit the right thing cause it turned on and yeah...kinda shocked me lol

Years ago while working at a pet store I did. Kept getting that tingly feel working in the tanks in one bank (all on metal stand) then one day I reached in a specific tank and ouch! found the problem, broken heater . . .

Back