Who is bigger?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a 14 gallon biocube, and I want a marroom clown with a rose bubble tip anenome that has purple tips. Anyways, what gets bigger, a female or male maroon clownfish? And how do I sex maroon clown fish?

the female clown is always the bigger of the pair. as far as i know there are no dichromatic (color diff.) of dimorphic (shape diff., other than size) differences in clowns. unless you mix the varieties, black percula with reg. percula for example and the black decides to go female. then obviously there is some dichromatic differences there. i would strongly suggest against a maroon in a 14g, they just get too big.

From what I understand, the clowns are males in the store. If you put them together, the more dominant one will grow bigger and become female (if you're lucky.)

I'd guess if you just put one in, it would stay a boy and not grow to female size. Might want to go with a smaller clown though....

I've heard a lot of horror stories about clowns going hyper aggressive when they start to host an anemone. I'd personally be pretty scared to try that is a tank that small... good luck

You should check out Denny's Pet World in Redmond/Woodinville. They have a mated pair of adult maroon clowns and they are HUGE! If you have a single maroon clown and decide to add another later, the original occupant will likely become the dominant and, therefore, female. They get about six inches in length and tend to bulk out with age. You will definitely need to get a larger setup, at least 30 gallons for most any clown.

Michael is correct. 14g is waaaaay too small for a maroon my..they are one of the more aggessive clowns. 30-40G is the minimum size I would put on in, ideally they should be in a 55g or bigger.

I had a maroon clown for 5 years and it was at least 4 inches and thick..

my .02

Yeah was gonna say the same thing. I decided against a pair of maroons in my biocube 29 because of the size. Dennys had some juvi maroons that were very tempting. I got some nice juvi occys instead.

A bta is gonna outgrow your bc14 as well inside of a year.

I noticed that the 5" female maroon I have is purple almost black compared to the male which is less then half the size but it a briliant red. strips are the same but body color is much different.

I have a 72 gallon but I think I may sell that freshwater set up and maybe move to a 46 gallon and do saltwater. FYI: I just lost 13 beautiful highly valuable discus and so saltwater, here I come.

Ouch, how'd you lose the discus? From my understanding, discus keeping and marine husbandry are somewhat on the same plane. Be sure to get an RODI unit and save yourself some headache! :)

Long story short

Ouch, how'd you lose the discus? From my understanding, discus keeping and marine husbandry are somewhat on the same plane. Be sure to get an RODI unit and save yourself some headache! :)

I was filling my tank and the knob was turned to the hotest while it was filling so when I went to check on my tank, all my fish were burned black and shrivelled. :shock:

Back