who is eating my ACAN? Ground probe and Oregon tort bleaching..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
OK, in my new 100 gallon tank my Acan has not been looking very good. At first he was out and looking great, then he started to look a little strange. Then yesterday it looked as though he had been smashed and eaten in one area. I can only assume my long spined sea urchin did this. Do this sound like something an urchin would do? I when and moved the ACAN to my other tank to be safe, but if this urchin is not reef safe he is gone. But we do love him, his name is spike and he came with my tank.

Also, another question, how do I go about hooking up a grounding probe to my GCFI? I read that other post and want to avoid potential electrocution of my critters.

Finally, anyone know why my Oregon tort SPS frags would all of a sudden shed their tissue and turn white? While everything else look great, including my other SPS. I had about 12 frags that were all previously healthy split among multiple tanks (all interconnected) and they all crashed, shed tissue and turned while. WTF?

thanks so much for all your help,

Travis

also ground probes + GFI's are a no no..

thats like a double negative... you can hurt your self bad...

A Gfi will do enough.... if you dont have GFI outlets of power strip, you can use the PRobe

also ground probes + GFI's are a no no..

thats like a double negative... you can hurt your self bad...

A Gfi will do enough.... if you dont have GFI outlets of power strip, you can use the PRobe

That is completely false. There has to be a ground probe to make the GFCI work. A GFCI senses ground fault current. If there isnt a path for that current, the ground probe, then the water remains energized even though a GFCI is used.

The other mistake is to use a ground probe and no GFCI. Then you provide a path for ground fault current but dont have a way to shut it off. The possibility of a continuase flow of current through the aquarium water is enabled. This is worse for the aquarium inhabitants then having no ground probe or GFCI.

That is completely false. There has to be a ground probe to make the GFCI work. A GFCI senses ground fault current. If there isnt a path for that current, the ground probe, then the water remains energized even though a GFCI is used.

The other mistake is to use a ground probe and no GFCI. Then you provide a path for ground fault current but dont have a way to shut it off. The possibility of a continuase flow of current through the aquarium water is enabled. This is worse for the aquarium inhabitants then having no ground probe or GFCI.

that is what I thought, thanks for clarifying. Now what material do I use for my ground probe? Titanium? thanks,

So with GFCI plugs that are grounded at the Panel I should have a ground probe also??
How does one do this??

Just buy one of the ground probes that plugs in, they have a titanium probe, and a 3 way plug. That's the easiest, the other cheaper more complicated ways are definitely messier, and don't plug the probe into something that turns off... Marine Depot has one for $14.95.. It's titanium with stainless insulated wire, and it has an additional lead to attach things to..

I would recommend one in your tank, sump, and refugium.. that way if there is not water flow between them because a pump shorted and is electrifying the water... there is a path in each compartment, but thats just me.. ;)

Last edited:
this is what i found out sps and acan do not mix well,still can not fixure that out yet???,from my personal experienced

interesting problem Dang.....I wonder what the isssue is, as I have no issues keeping both acans and sps in my tank.........

interesting problem Dang.....I wonder what the isssue is, as I have no issues keeping both acans and sps in my tank.........

yes,,i do not have problem either in the very beginning blooming and growing,(in the wild do they lived next to each other sps and acan,,just a throught),,,,but 4-5 months later ????,,maybe just me .:D only sps
BTW iam setting up cube just acan only:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back