Who is this hitchhiker?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spooge88

this is what my mystery anemone looks like, anyone know what it may be?
i've looked all over a ton of sites and couldn't find anything. it cane attached to a snail of all things when i bought a few a couple weeks back. it is about an inch and a half in diameter now and was only half an inch when i found it.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

i was thinking the same thing that it might be a majano but the colour was different than any picture that i've seen. has anybody else had these? cause right now it is in a spot where i can get at it if i need to get it out.

I haven't seen anything that color listed anywhere as majano. Seems like there are tons of different little anemones being called majanos. I find it very confusing. So it moved off your snail?

BTWay Hi I'm Debbie

I have seen Majanos from pale white (shaded) to very dark brown plus magnificent tulip green/pinks. The bright colored ones can even be bought on Ebay. The reproduce quite fast and can attack other life

hey debbie,
yeah this thing was atached to a snail when i got home. i put it in the tank not really knowing what it was and it settled on a perch in my tank on day. it''s been in there for about 3 months now and hasn't reproduced and is getting bigger. but i think its not worth the risk so i guess i'll get rid of it or just put it in my refugium on a rock and wait it out until i know for sure. thank you for your help everyone!

I agree it looks like a TULIP ANEMONE MAJANO.Bad get it out or you will have more in a months to come.

Ashlar as in Star Trek tribble? I have 1 majano in my tank. I am convinced to get it out now.

Oh and for that other anamone...the pink one...it decided to move last night. went towards water flow. Checked again before dawn and it was nowhere to be found. Skimmers making lots of foam...boo hoo. I'm afraid to test water. Guess I will do water change today. Not much hope but I'm going to keep looking...
Sorry to hijack spooge.

Hang in there Debbie, don't write your little rose colored anemone off just yet. Skimmers create foam for many different reasons.

Boiling water squirted directly onto the majano with a hypo or small turkey baster will vaporize it as will Joes juice into it's mouth.

I love the tribble reference... I got a majano in an ebay order a few years ago and we fed it and loved it and admired it and it got bigger. Then it started walking around and every where it walked it left tiny little pieces of its foot - so small that we did not even notice them. Then we had the tribble problem. I ended up boiling a lot of rock. Very sad.

Candy

debbie i doubt your pink anemone is in the skimmer, as for this hitchhiker i'm going to get rid of it, mayber even sell on ebay? kidding

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: Bet you could too, but know you wouldn't.:) :)

My anemone is out tonight:p

Last edited:
Back